I know, I know. This photo is old news, as I have already put it on facebook. But it cracks me up every time I see it, and it's been over 12 hours.
About 3 weeks ago we went on a bike ride on some dirt trails around the lake by our house. There is a mesh covering that goes over the bike trailer, but somehow a rock (supposedly) slipped through and lodged itself in Grant's eye. He screamed and cried and rubbed it all day until his eye was swollen and red. The next morning I thought time had healed it, but he continued to complain so I stuck him in a warm shower for something like 20 minutes and he said that fixed it. Ever since then he panics if we go on the dirt trails because he is nervous another rock will fly into his eye.
Grant also loves to dress up. Every day he is a different character, and if I forget his new name he is very fast to tell me, "My name's not Grant. It's {insert name}." The most common characters are Super Man, Obi Wan, and Spider Man. He has also been a ninja, a person named Kai, Darth Vader, Batman, a Pirate, and an Indian. (One of the funniest things is that Logan also loves to dress up as his character of the moment. Madison hates to dress up. I have bought her so many dress up clothes that she has never worn and grown out of. Isn't this backwards?) Anyway, yesterday Grant found these goggles in the dress up box. I think the kids all got a pair at one of the Lowe's Saturday building activities. When we got ready for our bike ride this morning he put them on and announced that they were for keeping rocks out of his eyes. I am happy to say that they worked.
This picture of him reminds me of the boy explorer on the Disney movie UP. So of course, we had to watch the movie , And, of course, I had to bawl. Every time!! The dog part is a little weird for me, and I wish they had done something different, but the couple getting old and breaking the bank is so touching--probably because I can relate. Except for the not having kids part. Obviously, we have other trials in our life.
While I watched it I thought about how almost 11 years ago Joe and I were both in China, promising ourselves that we would get back there--hopefully to live there with our own family. It hasn't happened, and the goals have kind of changed. Except that now he is there and I want SO BAD to go back! And the breaking the bank part. . . our van is 9 years old, and it has been a good van. It has been paid off for years, and it has been wonderful to not have any car payments. We have been saving money so that we could run this car to the ground and have enough for a new car--in a few years, that is. Well. . . . I took the van in to get the oil changed today, and I asked my dad about the trouble I've been having with the gears shifting, and it sounds like we might have to get a new transmission. It's time to break the car-savings bank. . . it's part of life, but definitely not how we were hoping to spend the money we've been saving for a new car. Ah well, such is life.
Today was a productive day: dropped kids off at school, went on a bike ride, went visiting teaching, went to Aldi, ate lunch with Madison in the school cafeteria. Put the boys down for a nap, played the piano, read some of my book, and had a surprise visit from my visiting teacher, who brought me a few books to keep me busy! Kids came home, we finished homework, played UNO, ate dinner (rice, chicken, and salad), and took Logan to scouts. Got the oil changed at Walmart (in record time, I should add), and bought a kiddie pool to help us to enjoy this 90 degree weather. Is there such a thing as enjoying 90 degree weather, anyway? Every time we got out of the van today Grant said, "boy it's hot today, isn't it mom?" Yes, it is hot.
And I got to talk to Joe TWICE on skype! He is safe in Shanghai and he has wireless Internet. We got to kneel down together and say a family prayer even though we are over 10,000 miles apart! It is hard to be so far away, but I'm grateful for modern technology. Also, it blows my mind that there is no facebook in China! Sometimes I wish my free-agency for facebook was taken away from me, though. But can you imagine if facebook was in China? That's like 2 BILLION more customers!
Anyway, my thoughts are getting random, now. :) Remember to look UP!

No comments:
Post a Comment