Madison and I happen to live in a house full of boys. I love them all dearly, but that attitude is sometimes thrown around. You can imagine my dismay when, yesterday, I heard Logan and Grant harassing Madison by giving her reasons that boys were better than girls.
"Boys go to college to get more knowledge. Girls go to Jupiter to get more stupider."
So I sat those 3 kids down and had a chat.
I explained that, first of all, there are more girls than boys in college. Their mother is also a girl with a college degree. Next, stupider is not a word. And finally, no person has ever been to Jupiter, but if girls are the first to go to Jupiter it will be another proof of their intelligence and capability.
But MOST importantly: I better never hear my sons say anything that would imply that boys are better than girls.
I'm almost certain that I haven't heard the end of it.




3 comments:
Make sure you talk to Joe about it too. I didn't realize that I did some of the things I kept telling Matthew not to do, or that I sometimes contradicted what she told Matthew to do. Parents should be on the same page for these lessons.
That's so great that you realized then and there that it was not okay for them to say to their sister. I remember growing up with my brothers constantly telling me that no one would ever like me and I'd have no friends. Even though they might be the tiniest bit right it didn't help anything and when my dad would agree it was that much worse. You're such a smart mom! I wouldn't have even thought in that moment that no one has ever been to Jupiter.
Oh kids.
Post a Comment