Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Day 2

I got a text at 4 am this morning (I was already awake because I am used to his alarm going off for seminary) from Joe saying he had finally made it to Beijing. Unfortunately the hotel he was in did not have wireless Internet, and we could not Skype as planned. He was missing me so much that he called on his cell (yikes! $$) to tell me that the time difference was killing him and that he had been showered and dressed by 5 am his time and has since been walking the streets of Beijing. He is taking the train to Shanghai this evening (except it's really tomorrow afternoon in China) and hopes that the Marriott he is staying in will have the Internet.

In  honor of Dad's safe arrival in China we ate jiao zi (potstickers), rice, and stir-fry vegetables for dinner. We then proceeded to play "just dance" where we danced "Kung fu Fighting" several times and we sang the words very loudly. Variations of the word "China" are used many times.

Day two was good, except that Grant refused to eat his Chinese dinner and after threatening him for 15 minutes I had to make good on said threats and I sent him to bed before 7:00. He missed the dancing. Ammon, who I think is teething, has been a real pill lately. After throwing a major temper tantrum because he could not hold the wii remote I gave up and put him in bed and let him cry. After listening to Madison and Logan fight about whose turn it was to choose the Just Dance song I said, "FORGET IT! Go brush your teeth!" At 7:30 I went upstairs, pulled the crying boys out of bed and began reading to them chapter two of "Romona the Pest." We were on the second page when a fight broke out between Grant and Logan about who had the Lego man first and I yelled, "I'm DONE! GET IN BED!"

Among the ordinary things that have to get done everyday, I also went on a 3.5 mile bike ride, babysat 2 cute girls, cleaned the fish tank, read a chapter of A Tale of Two Cities, took a nap, spent an hour playing the piano, and cleaned the kitchen. I appears that my plan is to stay up late deep cleaning and nap during the afternoon. A little backwards, but I do not have the motivation to clean during nap-time because I am so tired from staying up late the night before, and since the evenings are quiet and lonely--I clean until I am exhausted. I'm crazy.

So there is day 2 in a nut shell.

I am now going to go sweep and mop the kitchen and bathroom floors. Evenings are definitely the hardest part of the day.


5 comments:

Kristy said...

Yes they are -- I kind've dread evenings myself. And I'm sorry that my 2 cute girls were pills themselves.

The Hurst Family said...

You should just call me when you need some relief! I love you!

Elizabeth said...

When we were little and my dad was away, my mom says she'd keep us up late with her so she wouldn't be so lonesome. I love that you celebrated Joe by having the Chinese food and music, and I'm sorry that the rest of the evening wasn't the greatest. I hope things get better. Having Dad away is hard on a family, I know.

Lauren said...

I totally understand. Bedtime is the worst! Andy has been gone for a month. I did really well for the first 3 weeks, but I am so done!! Sounds like you are off to a good start. Just do lots of fun things to keep yourself busy. I spent more money on activities than I normally would, but so worth it to keep us sane! We went bowling, swimming, got ice cream cones after school, rented movies, pizza etc. And I totally followed your advice on the dinners. It made life easier for sure. Last night we even had cereal. LOL. Drew told me I was the best mom ever. Hang in there Jen!!

Lalani said...

I love your honesty. So often we try to be completely optimistic and only show the best parts of ourselves to others. Thank you for being so open about your evening.

It seems hardest for me to be happy and patient when I plan something special or fun and everyone dissolves into fits or fights. I was trying to be great! And I ended up having to yell! Yikes. That is hard for me.