Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Birthday Surprises

I know it's kind of silly, but I love birthdays. It's nice to feel special for a day. I don't just love my birthday, I love to celebrate everyone's birthday. But my birthday just happens to be on Friday, so I've been letting people know. ;)

It's funny how growing up changes things as far as birthdays go. Presents are nice, but they really come out of my own money these days, and so maybe we can call it an excuse to splurge, but in reality I don't have to wait for my birthday, and the money comes from the same place.

These days what I really want are meaningful, well-thought out gestures of love and kindness. I think my children know exactly what I want, as can be evidenced in the conversation I had with Grant yesterday:

Grant: Mom, is it going to be your birthday?
Mom: Yep! Are you going to surprise me?
Grant: Yes, I know what you want for your birthday!
Mom: You do?! What is it?
Grant: A messy house!
Mom: No, I want a clean house. Can you do that for me?
Grant: (laughs) No, but I can give you a messy house. That can be your birthday present.
Mom: How about a clean bedroom? That's easy!
Grant: (laughs)

I might be waiting for many years to get what I want for my birthday. Ah well, at least they will be years full of laughter!

*I should mention that Joe has declared it Mom's week because of my birthday and Mother's Day (and to warm me up to his trip to China, but I'll take it!). I have been spoiled and loved every day. He has been working a little bit from home, and it has been heavenly. He's been making food, cleaning, and telling me to take it easy. We've taken 30 minute bike rides in the morning, today we had a little lunch date at our own kitchen table, and a babysitter during the dinner hour while we ate hamburgers and went for a walk around the lake. I know the next 4 days will be just as wonderful. I am loving every day of Mom's week and hope it becomes a yearly tradition!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Ha ha, the messy house conversation cracked me up. I'm sure they're good at giving you "presents" everyday! Mother's Week sounds great, glad you get some enjoyment! You should totally make that a tradition!

Amy Gibson said...

Oh that is so neat Jen!!!

Olsens said...

How sweet! I'm glad your family is spoiling you for mom's week. You deserve it :) It's always fun to read your blogs and see your cute family!

Happy birthday!!