Monday, May 7, 2012

The backyard

While my family was never wealthy, we always had everything we needed, and enough room financially to take vacations and participate in some cool activities. I did not grow up in a big house, or an especially nice house. Actually, I grew up in a very, very old house with one very small bathroom, which I think I've mentioned. We got one fuzzy television station, dial-up Internet when I was a Senior in high school, and my parents didn't believe in Nintendo (they now have a satellite, high speed Internet, and a Wii; in fact, they bought us a Wii).

But we did have a lot of room. . . outside. Acres and acres (100+) of land to hike on, hide on, work on, ride on, and even a creek (it's pronounced "crick") to swim in. 

I can't say I appreciated it very much when I was growing up. I wanted a newer, fancier, bigger house. I wanted sidewalks and shopping centers. I did not want to help to shovel walkways, weed the garden, mow the yard, or feed the sheep. My parents would probably claim that I did not, in fact, do those things. :) I almost despised the 10 trips in and out of the house to bring food to (and from) the picnic table when the kitchen table seemed so much more convenient. 

Today I was watching the kids playing in our small back yard: grateful for the sidewalks, grateful for Joe's 20 minutes to mow the lawn, grateful for the playthings we have been able to provide for the children, grateful for our Craigslist patio table. Somehow, somewhere, I became the mother who appreciated and wanted my children to enjoy the outdoors; it feels wrong to be inside when the sun is shining outside! I also inconveniently drag the food and drinks outside so that we can enjoy the sounds, smells, and feelings of the outside. 

I also miss the room. The house we are living in is much more modern and roomy than the one I grew up in (2.5 baths!), but I am surprised that I miss the room and the quietude that is found in the country. 

Thank goodness for summer vacations.

Grant showing off his Jedi skills. 

Ammon loves the sandbox.

Things to do.

my little garden. crossing my fingers that my plants will stay alive in the Texas heat. 

Logan doing something with cards. 
my growing up backyard. past the deck and down a hill is the creek.  
behind the bushes on the right is a play area for the grandkids. 

my front yard growing up. see the wooded hills? *love*

4 comments:

Vernice said...

I hope that your garden does well and is very fruitful. I am afraid of the heat too. What nice backyards. I miss the wide area to roam too. Hope you guys are doing well.

Molly said...

It was pretty cool getting to visit you guys in PA. Are you going again this summer (not in JULY please I wont be there and we wont be able to bring you a PIE) See how I bribe? :)

balloongal said...

I love going home. We get to go this summer. Last time was a couple years ago when I was pregnant, so it's going to be our youngest's first trip to where we grew up.

Amy Gibson said...

Love your current back yard!!! Jealous! Totally love the pictures of the yard you grew up with too. That looked like a childhood dream land for the imagination. Love it! Beautiful! Glad you appreciate it now.