Monday, January 19, 2009

Where we've been

Logan: Moved up to the five-yr old class in Primary in January. He's into Superman, Batman, and superheroes in general. He loves to fight with Madison. He loves to build things with Legos--he stopped asking for my help because he's figured out that he builds better than I do. He loves preschool and is excited for Kindergarten and can't wait to eat lunch at school. He can spell and rhyme... he just needs to work on penmanship. We spend about 30 minutes every morning writing letters. He and Madison are both good helpers--they cook, dust, vacuum, and even pick up a few toys once in a while.

Madison: Moved up to the Sunbeams class in January. I think she likes it, although when she sees me for Singing Time, she almost always starts her "silent cry." It might be fake, but she's very convincing, so I don't know. She loves her teachers and makes up stories that they tell her. (ex. One day she told us Sis. Rowe said she didn't have to eat whatever on the menu that night. I said, " Oh really. I think I'll have to ask Sis. Rowe about that." Madi paused then stated, "If you ask her, she might say 'no.'") She still doesn't care to play dress up, although she has lots of dress-up clothes if any little girls want to come play. She also doesn't really like to play with Barbies or babies or anything girly. She does, however, wear her cape if Logan is wearing his because then she's cool. She can be a picky eater, but the last few days she's been eating marvelously. She carries a purple washcloth around the house to wipe away her tears (which she has a lot of since she is always fighting with Logan). It's no longer worrisome or humorous. Just normal. 

Grant: Is 10 months old. He crawls and stands and cruises on furniture. He's a clown; if we laugh at something he does, he'll do it over and over and over. He just started clapping. He loves to play peek-a-boo. He points to tell us what he wants. He's a very happy, lovable,and sometimes loud baby. He loves to play with his big brother and sister, but gets very upset when they take something away from him. He loves to eat. He still nurses 5 times a day and eats at least 3 meals with the family. Logan, Madison, and I (Jenn) all have low iron levels, so at Grant's last dr. appt. I asked the dr. to test his blood. She was a little reluctant, but I was not surprised to find that Grant, too, had very low iron levels. So we are all taking iron supplements. The dr. is also worried about his weight which surprised me because he eats all day long... I guess he's always hungry! So lucky Grant gets to have cream cheese and butter on his bread!

Joe: Is home a little more because the economy isn't keeping him so busy. So we get to see him a little more, which is nice, but worrisome at the same time. I can't say much on here, so for more info you might just have to ask him. He (and I) decided that it was time to shut off the satellite to save money and promote better usage of time. We also got rid of our home line and are just using our cell numbers now. (We still have our answering machine hooked up to the old line if you need to get a hold of us before you get our cell number.) 

Jenn: loves staying at home with the children... and is thinking about giving up on having a clean house. I think I washed, dried, folded, and put away 10 loads of laundry this week (and no, I didn't miss a week). Whew! I feel like I can't keep up with life. One of my new year's goal was to get up at 6:00 a.m. so I could shower and dress, make a hot breakfast, and do some me things so that we can all eat breakfast together at 7:00. It's been tough, but also very rewarding. I am also taking an online class from BYU because I have to take 6 credits to keep my teaching certificate current. I'm actually really stressed about it because I've got to finish by Sept. 1 and I've procrastinated this for 5 years. I really don't know where the time went, but I have no excuse.  So while Logan is in school, Madison and Grant take naps, and I've got about 2 1/2 hours that I use to exercise and work on this class and get anything else done (meal prep, cleaning, etc). So we're 19 days into the new year and I feel like I've done pretty well, but I'm also exhausted at the end of the day. Sometimes I feel like life is so crazy and I know it's only going to get crazier as the kids have more activities and I just don't know how to keep up. And I know I should  be doing more playing and teaching and loving and somehow it all gets lost in the happenings of the day. So if any of you are up to sharing, I'd love to know how you do it. 

7 comments:

Jenny said...

That's funny about Madi not being into girly things. Were you the same way, Jenn? I don't have any advice because I'm still trying to get the whole routine down and I only have one. The laundry seriously never ends and there are only three of us. Luckily our family is still small enough that we eat leftovers every other day (luckily Troy likes them!) which saves time (and money!). Good luck with your online class!

Julia and Aaron said...

This was a really great post! Very real and down to earth. I feel like I relate a lot to how you feel. Life is busy and doesn't seem to let up. You sound like you are doing great though, with the loving, playing, and teaching, I mean. Just keep going and going, right? I've kind of learned that people who are successful are the ones that are persistent, in spite of perceived failures.

Sherrie said...

Wow Jenn, you are amazing! I think it's awesome that you're keeping your teaching certificate current and are continuing your education. That is so great! :) You are an awesome mom, just so ya know!

H.Cook said...

this post just confirms your awesomeness.

i looked into renewing my teaching certificate this morning, and i need to take 9 more credits-- ugh.

Ammieloris said...

I agree with Sherrie-- you are amazing. I love the matching superhero kids.

Olsens said...

I love the cute superman capes! I think you deserve one yourself, at least a "super mom" cape. You're doing a great job! I feel motivated by reading your entry. :) - Heidi

JT42 said...

i think i need to take advice from you...especially since i've failed already at the number 1 resolution to get up early and make breakfast for the fam! i'm blaming it on the move even though it's just an excuse ;)
don't stress over the credits...your smart to give yourself 9 months vs. my 3 1/2 weeks! you'll do great as always...by the way, did you make those capes? i had my ambitions to do that for christmas and it failed by me...i will have to do that soon they are adorable!
keep up the good work, you're doing just fine!