Monday, January 12, 2009

Bowling in the Backwoods

A day after hailing in the New Year, Jenny and I went to visit her family in Northwestern Pennsylvania. For those unfamiliar with the area, it is breathtakingly beautiful. Dense trees hug the hills to form the Allegheny National Forest. In the summer, the area is unrealistically green, and in the winter, it feels like the setting of a Robert Frost poem.

But the sophistication of the area fails to match the scenery. Jenny and I went bowling in a venue likely unchanged from its opening in the early 1920's. The alley made bowlers count the score by hand. The shoes were the newest additions, likely purchased during the Carter Administration.

Best of all, a bowler two lanes over from us apparently rammed the ball down the alley so fast that a pin spat back into the lane, rolled into the gutter, and lay resting in that no man's land where shoes are forbidden. No problem for the owners of this alley. A piercing whistle shot out, and a black dog mobilized from behind the service counter. The dog immediately eyed the lanes, found his target, and strutted down the gutter to fetch the pin and dutifully return it to his master behind the counter.



Good times.

4 comments:

The JL McGregor Family said...

Joe, I KNOW you are not making fun of my hometown! You forgot to mention that I was such a horrible bowler that everyone cheered for me when I managed to knock down a pin (they really did)! We all had a good time--it's way more fun to try to figure out how to score a bowling game than have some generic machine do it for you.

Jenny said...

That is so classic! That's hilarious that everyone cheered for you, Jenn.
Troy makes fun of my hometown too, so I feel your pain.

Bridi said...

I always know I'm going to laugh when I read your blog! Jason also makes fun of my "red neck" home town. Maybe we could bowl together sometime Jenn we could make each other not look so bad.

Sherrie said...

That is so funny! I love that they have an "alley dog". Nice touch. :) I'm a bad bowler too...can I join the party?