She doesn't look like much, but Sandusky, Ohio, has been on my hitlist for over a decade now.
Sandusky is the setting for Hollywood's greatest cinematic achievement: Tommy Boy. In that film Chris Farley, starring as Tommy Callahan, Jr., travels across the country to sell enough brake pads to save his family's business, and grows up along the way. Heartwarming.
In high school my great bud, Len Gillespie, and I would watch the film at least once a day. We could practically recite the entire movie. Amazingly, it never got old. In college I travelled with three things: a pillow, a toothbrush, and Tommy Boy on VHS. Like my American Express, I never left home without it. I made it a goal to one day visit the shrine of immature men everywhere: Sandusky.
In September, 2000, Len was killed in an automobile accident. Subsequently, each time I watched the film I would think back to those times at 2:00 watching Tommy Boy in his living room. It stung. So I quit watching.
Finally today, almost a decade after Len's passing, I made it to Sandusky. The trip from South Euclid wasn't that far, but the road I endured learning to cope with a close loss was. This post is a tribute to one of the best persons I ever knew.
"A lot of people go to college for seven years."
"Yeah, they're called doctors."
"Shut up, Richard."
Peace.
1 comment:
That song you have playing on here, Out of My League....My friend from highschool sings and plays guitar for Stephen Speaks. I actually just found that out and so when i heard it playing on your blog i had to mention it. :)
Post a Comment