(rambling ahead)
My piano, an inherited 1975 Sohmer, was tuned for perhaps the first time ever. I've been putting it off because, well, I played my out-of-tune piano everyday--why tune it? I hate spending money (a leftover from our not-so-long-ago student days), and I have an especially hard time spending money on myself. Sometimes my resourcefulness prevents me from doing things that I love or would love to learn about. But last week I broke down and called around to find a tuner. I thought I would rethink my decision, but instead I felt renewed and encouraged to set new goals and to begin doing things I did before I became a mom. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being a mother. But sometimes motherhood has been my excuse for not progressing, for not pursuing the interests I had before becoming a mom. I tell myself I'm too busy, there's more to clean, meals to make, laundry, kids to play with, etc. Do you ever make excuses, or am I the only one? ANYWAY, I set up an apt. with a tuner and my mind seemed to open. And today I sat down at the piano after Tony Romano worked some piano-magic, and WOW! It is so worth the money! Not only because it sounds sensational (I didn't know I could sound like that!), but because I've learned that sometimes spending money and time on something important to me motivates me to make time to increase my talents and oh-so-limited knowledge. And that feels good.
SOOOO, we enjoyed this perfect fall day by:
- getting the piano tuned
- playing with friends
- making yummy freshly-ground, whole-wheat rolls (a perfect smell for an autumn day)
- going to preschool (Logan)
- eating lunch with some friends (Madi and I)
- playing outside--scootering, biking, walking, running
- cheering for Grant as he scooted across the carpet to get Logan's pirate toys
- watching a movie (Mulan II from the library. Don't waste your time :))
- putting 3 tired, cranky kids to bed early (7:00!)
I'm finally figuring out the iMovie, although I can only blog it on the lowest quality. Anyone know why? So, without any further ado, I present, for your viewing pleasure: Grant scooting across the floor; Madison riding a scooter, and Logan and Madison racing (I think Logan slowed down for Madison). Enjoy!
7 comments:
yay for getting your piano tuned! I'm glad you play.
I remember in wymount sunday mornings, and sometimes afternoons too, we would sit on the couch and have our own private concert of hymns and primary songs! ( I was afraid to tell you because I was afraid you would be embarrassed and stop.) so thanks :)
I feel the same way about spending time and money on myself at times too. It's good when we have those breakthroughs. Keep playing! You have an amazing talent with that piano!
Love,
Britt
Yes, i totally make excuses. So many ladies in the ward have like 20 different things they can do, and ME, Nooooo, i cannot find time for ANYTHING other than taking pics! I don't know how they do it. Or if i do want to spend money on learning something i think to myself "how in the world can i find time to do this?" and then i think about the money and i can quickly turn it away! :) That is exciting that you got your piano tuned!!! Have fun with that!
hooray grant! Clara can only scooch in circles and backwards so far. Did you get to watch the piano tuner while he worked? I always think that's so fun. I hope we can have a piano one day.
Congrats for Grant! This means life will be even more hectic for you doesn't it? You forgot to mention that you even did service for a needy friend that day. BTW, those rolls were so incredibly good. Can I get the recipe? This is of course assuming that I might be put together enough to actually bake on any given day!
Oh - and Logan is so sweet to slow down for his sister. What a nice brother.
I loved seeing Grant scoot. He is going to have some strong hand muscles.
Post a Comment