I love birthdays--really! But for whatever reason (I'm older, more going on, there's a baby drinking my blood....pick one) I'm EXHAUSTED!! We celebrated by going to Maggiano's for lunch...yesterday.... and I made him breakfast burritos this morning (minus the potatoes because I just couldn't do it). We had lots of leftovers from our lunch yesterday and I ordered him a piece of cheesecake to go (the kind of cake he always requests for his birthday) and told him we'd eat the leftovers for dinner tonight and he could have his cheesecake whenever he wanted. This morning I informed the kids that we were skipping cake for the rest of us (with Logan's birthday and several parties and Halloween we've had PLENTY of sugar).
He found his package that came in the mail last week and opened it and shot it in the backyard (bow and arrows). I have another gift for him that I haven't wrapped yet (hoping for energy today but I'm using it to write this post). I DID buy scotch tape so at least we won't be using painter's tape this time. :)
OK, so his 36th birthday might be a little bit pathetic.
I'm so lucky that he (says he) doesn't mind.
Last night Logan was in charge of our family home evening. He taught us a lesson on gratitude, which is perfect because this is the month of Thanksgiving, after all. He gave us a piece of paper and an assignment to write down each family member's name and a reason we were grateful to have them in our family. The kids did surprisingly well--except for a few "nice" things were not really so nice.
Anyway, other than Ammon, every single person wrote a variation of being thankful that Dad makes money (Ammon said he's thankful that Dad gives him pop. I'm pretty sure that pop is his love language). So the big joke now is that we just love Dad for his money. (Every single person said a variation of being thankful for Mom because she takes care of them, so I don't feel too bad for him.)
I was going to write that I am thankful for a husband who cooks and cleans--that's why I fell in love with him, after all--but I don't think he would have appreciated that any more than being loved for his money. How about: he's witty and hard-working and calm and knows that what I really want is for him to put the kids to bed while I escape pick up the mess downstairs.
One last recent story about Joe. For the last week or so his car was smelling Terrible!! It just kept getting worse; we thought it was a dead animal. I drove it to a meeting on Saturday and had to roll the windows down even though it was 45 degrees outside because I thought I was going to throw up!
Joe finally decided to investigate and found...wait for it.... a bag of broccoli in his trunk. It must have fallen out of a grocery bag--weeks ago. That took care of the smell immediately, thank goodness! So I am also grateful for a husband who takes care of dirty, stinky things.
Happy Birthday Daddy! You're getting OLD!
(I love you!)
No comments:
Post a Comment