It's been a wonderful, cold(ish), rainy week!
Yesterday a friend with a 3 year old daughter invited me to go thrift store shopping with her for kids' winter clothes. She said she had heard there were 4 thrift stores in a row about 20 minutes from us in a nice part of town (nice part of town = better donations). It sounded like a fun way to spend the morning, so we loaded up the kids and went thrifting. Even though we only (lol) made it to three stores--we scored big time.
I have been looking for a winter jacket for Madison and found one for $6.00! I got her a few other warm sweatshirts and Logan two pairs of pants and two warm shirts as well. Everything looks brand new. They were excited for the new clothes, and I was thrilled to have the opportunity to explain to them how a thrift store works and why it's such a blessing to live frugally.
The most random find was a pair of gray BYU-Idaho sweatpants--for me! Ammon and I were staying warm under a blanket and reading a Lightening McQueen book when Joe got home last night. When I asked him if he wanted to see what I found he kind of rolled his eyes and said, "I'd love that." But when I popped up to show him the sweats (I had already washed everything) he laughed and said, "no way!" Way! Those elastic, stretchy, warm, comfy sweats are going to get a lot of use this winter.
Ammon and his little friend both found a pair of rain boots that fit (well, his are a little large), so we bought them boots, put them on in the store, and took them outside to jump (over and over) in every rain puddle they could find. I wish I had taken a picture of them jumping with their huge smiles. Kids find so much joy in the simple things, and it brings me joy to feel like I had a part in making their day memorable--even if and when they are dragged around to thrift store after thrift store after thrift store.
Today I volunteered to watch another little friend while her mom went on a field trip with a sibling. The kids played well together and that gave me time to mop the kitchen floor (it was badly needed). Another friend stopped by with her kids and we were able to catch up for a while and eat lunch together--tomato soup and her homemade rolls (soup and rolls--another perk of fall). I love having good friends that make me feel like I don't need to worry about feeling judged when they come over and see my messy home. We had a two year old, two three year olds, and a four year old, and they all played marvelously together--no fighting--without making too big of a mess in the playroom. It was kind of amazing, actually.
November really is my favorite--with its cozy weather and the constant reminder to think of the many things we have been blessed with--I can't help but feel happy. Today I am grateful for good friends, good weather, good food, thrift stores, saving money, puddles, puddle jumpers, and a clean kitchen floor. And a nap. I got a short 30 minute nap today and it was wonderful!

No comments:
Post a Comment