Monday, November 24, 2014

giving thanks

Today was officially the first day of our Thanksgiving break (yes, the kids get the entire week off of school). But really it started on Saturday. I gave thanks for the cold, rainy, lazy day and Just Dance parties with my kids. We also made banana bread...lots of it...and I was even able to sneak in a hot date with my hard-working, even-on-a-Saturday guy. 

On Sunday I gave thanks for good friends. The kind who let you come over without any notice to blow dry your hair for church because your blow dryer won't turn on. (See previous post for other exciting Sunday events...hah.)

Today I woke up to the marvelous sound of children fighting and hurting each other. I told them that since their actions made me tired (not to mention the still-dark hour they made me get up on a day off of school), they would need to do the jobs that I was too tired to do at 7:30 in the morning. Logan swept the floor and took out the trash, Madison cleaned out the silverware drawer, emptied the dishwasher and mopped the kitchen floor, Ammon helped me make bisquits and gravy, Grant set the table and then cleared/wiped off the table, and Logan washed the pots and pans. Then I sent them upstairs to make beds and vacuum their rooms. The amazing thing is that all of this work together made them LIKE each other again! They started talking and laughing together (even playing) after just 5 minutes of complaining. Then we went to the library, got some books, and stopped at a park to take a walk, ride scooters, and play on the playground. We didn't invite any friends to join us, so the kids had to play with each other, and I felt motherly love towards them as I watched them play together--happily! There was tag, hide and seek, and army crawling around the perimeter of the playground. I even hopped on their scooters and raced with them. I lost. Every time.  

Joe taught us a family home evening on gratitude tonight. I looked at each one of my children and felt--overwhelmed. In a good way. I can't imagine my life without them, and it is crazy to think that without me (or Joe) they simply wouldn't exist. I'm so glad they do. 

One of my girlfriends invited Madison over tomorrow to learn how to make artisan bread and fudge. Madi is excited to have the opportunity to have one-on-one time with another adult, and I feel happy for her to have such wonderful women in her life. I'm still cool (obviously), but I know one of these days I won't be, and I hope that she (and all my kids) will have a few adults they can trust and turn to when they won't come to me. Since we don't have family that lives very close to us, I feel extra grateful for our grown-up friends who help care for our children. 

An entire week off of school! What to do? Movies to watch (Big Hero 6 tomorrow!), books to read, hikes to take, friends to spend time with, good food to make--and eat!, memories to create. Even the kids fighting...that's ok. I kind of enjoyed watching them do all those chores together this morning. 

No comments: