Monday, October 14, 2013

First Introductions

A year or so ago I enjoyed reading the Pioneer Woman's book, Black Heels to Tractor Wheels. So, using her as my inspiration, here's the story of how I met my husband.

After living in China for four and a half months, I decided that I was going to find a way to return and live there as an ex-pat with my future family. Since it would be convenient if I could talk to the people, I decided to take Mandarin Chinese when I returned to Rick's college in the fall of 2000. A little moral support is always nice, so I convinced my friend/roommate, Kathleen, into also taking the class. Looking back, I'm not really sure why she did, except that she was a good friend and had gone to China with me the semester before.

I arrived early the first day and took a front-row seat in the right-hand corner (the desks were set up in u-shaped rows). I was naively enthusiastic and ready to master the Chinese language. A few minutes later, a big guy with dark hair walked in and sat on my left, the row behind me. I recognized this guy because he had been in the sociology class I had completed a few weeks before. I clearly remember the thoughts going through my head: do I ignore him and pretend like I don't recognize him OR do I say hi and acknowledge that this is the second class we are in together? 

Now, I should note, that I was/am not a social butterfly. I don't know how to initiate conversations with strangers and I often feel awkward around people.  But--I had just gotten back from China and was more confident and wanted to take a little more social risk. I was also afraid of seeming rude or stuck-up (I have had many people tell me that I come across as stuck-up/unfriendly because I don't initiate conversations, when really it's because I don't know how to.)

So I took a big breath, smiled, and said, "So how'd you do in the sociology class?"

Joe looked at me and said, "Oh. Were you in that class?"

Fail! So stupid! Why didn't I just follow my usually anti-social instinct and keep my mouth shut?

So we had some sort of awkward conversation where we introduced ourselves and said a few short sentences about the class and our teacher, and then I turned around (probably with red cheeks) and firm in the decision that I would never initiate another conversation. At least not with him.

(Of course, now I realize that the reason I recognized him and he did not recognize me is that he is not afraid to talk in class, so I heard him voice his opinion plenty of times during that sociology class and I.... I don't think I raised my hand once.)

My first impressions of Joe were that he dressed nicely, but was loud, and opinionated. I was not really very attracted to him. He wasn't attracted to me, either, but he will have to tell you his side of the story someday.

2 comments:

George Huang said...

You've already shown us pictures of how you looked back then. If Joe says he wasn't attracted to you, he is lying lying lying.

Molly said...

I like George's Comment! And I call false... I bet he DID notice you in that class, unless it was one of those crappy byu classes with over 60 kids in it... then MAYBE he missed you.