To all of you who move a lot. . . any tips? Suggestions and advice?
We are almost all packed up, except for the kitchen and the garage, and Joe's side of the closet, and. . . well I guess we've got a ways to go.
It looks like we will be moving to a rental home about 30 miles from where we are right now. That means that we are kind of starting all over--new neighborhood, new schools, new ward. Some days I am really excited and some days I feel sick to my stomach. I don't know what that means. The good news is that it is a nice home with a good school, and we will already know a family in the ward--the Packers from BYU. (Actually, they introduced us to the guy who is renting out the house. And Trulee, if you read this, please tell me how wonderful your ward is!)
Every time we move I say I'm going to use it as an opportunity to start over and be the person I want to be. I'm kind of a loner; I am afraid of inviting people over, and it takes a while for me to feel comfortable around people. Maybe we have to keep moving because I never change. So I was thinking that maybe if I posted some goals on here to be the social person I want to be that maybe this time will be different.
I want to be someone who invites people over for dinner and/or games on a regular basis. I want to be more willing to let my kids invite their friends over without it being a big deal. I think I try to make everything a house-cleaning event, and it shouldn't be! I want to be less serious and more fun. I want to be more service-oriented. Anyway. . . maybe the new me will be the 3 S's: social, serviceable, spontaneous.
So now I just have to make specific goals that will help me to become those things. What do you do to be social?
Also. . . to those of you who noticed the "baby girl McGregor" at the top and have asked. . . Joe wrote it. I asked him about it and he said that on that particular day that he was felt like we needed another girl in the family.
4 comments:
Being social can be super depressing Jen. In the long run I am sure it's worth it but right now it just makes me lonely. I think you do just fine.
This post perfectly describes how I feel about moving. I am also a loner and can border on the extremely antisocial. Er, not so good. I think of moving as an opportunity to be a more outgoing me. It's not a chance to become someone else, but to set aside old habits or fears and be a me that can bring happiness to me and my new friends. Then I try to remind myself that if being social doesn't happen right away, it can always happen at any time. :D So far I've yet to become social in this new place, but I will!
Good luck with your whirlwind move and those pesky jobs that are lingering around.
Our ward is so great. They are totally welcoming, and very young. There are tons of young families. The only thing that could make it better would be for the McGregor's to move in. When is the moving date? The only thing that could stop us from being there would be if I were in labor. (so, don't move that day)
You have to promise not to tell everyone in our ward all of our deep dark secrets, and how goofy we were in college.
I can totally relate! In fact today I was just thinking to myself "it's time to get out and be more social again! And be a better friend and neighbor." It is hard when you move so often- we've moved 7 times in our not quite 9 years of marriage. It seems once you start to feel settled, it's moving time again! Ugh!
I also feel like everything has to be a house cleaning event. I was thinking I should invite people over when my house is trashed and so my friends see we're human too and they won't feel like they have to have a spotless house for us. Whose house is always clean anyway!
BTW I've always looked up to you and thought you were super friendly, sweet and social!
Post a Comment