Some of you know about the fun jar and chore jar that we've used in the past. This summer I decided to do things a little differently. My kids are always asking to play the computer, watch a movie, go to the splash park, invite friends over. . . well you get the idea. This summer they get to earn those fun things, which means they also do what I want them to do without any (much) complaining.
I wrote up a chart with activities and the points each activity is worth. Some of the activities are:
- clean room (1 pt)
- read for 20 min. (1)
- 1 page of homework (1)
- write in journal (1)
- exercise for 10 min (1)
- read scriptures (1)
- chore for mom (2)
- practice piano (2)
They "buy" rewards with their points (which they are in charge of keeping track of on a separate piece of paper). Here are some examples of the rewards they can earn:
- snack (1)
- 10 min on computer (2)
- watch a 20 min show on computer (3)
- watch a movie (4)
- stay up 30 min. after bedtime (10)
- retrieve a taken toy from the box (10)
- go to splash park (15)
- invite a friend (15)
What I've learned: Logan and Madison think it's fun; Grant, as expected, doesn't really get it. We might have to adjust a few things. . . homework is apparently the easiest thing to do. Logan can go through several pages in a matter of minutes (even when I'm picking out the pages). Logan is my saver. He has a lot of points, but he isn't really willing to spend them. Madison enjoys doing it, but she isn't concerned about racking up points. Basically, she doesn't mind not getting to play on the computer or watch a movie. We are still trying to figure out what to do if, say, Logan wants to spend his points at the splash park, but Madison doesn't. Does everyone have to use their points to participate (like watching a movie), or can one person's 4-point movie count for everyone? I also like how the kids want to be helpful/read/do homework--and I wanted them to be able to set their own schedule and practice being responsible--but my controlling self wants to make them sit down in the morning and read or do homework. So we still have a little ironing out to do, but I can say, happily, that I do not have kids begging for extra privileges all day.
7 comments:
It's fun learning the systems other families use! I have tried creative ideas to get them to do chores but none of it works for my boys. Haha!
I'm so glad you posted this reward system. We made a chart for Summer but I hadn't figured out how to reward. We have three daily things: piano, chores,and reading. Now I can attach points to them and have them earn rewards. Thanks!
What a great idea!
This looks like such a fun idea, but having "bigger" kids sorta freaks me out. Oy. I'm used to being the boss. Hypothetically, I love this idea to let your kids have more control over their schedules. In practice. . . it would be really hard!
What the heck happened to our background, Jenny? Looks like someone threw up nuclear waste on the screen.
You are such a fantastic mom. Thanks for sharing your ideas!
p.s. Is there an explanation behind "baby girl McGregor" on your title?
Post a Comment