WARNING: possibility of T.M.I.
So... 32 weeks here... and I'm starting to think about how this baby has to get out. In case you didn't know... it hurts. A lot.
I have only experienced natural childbirth. And while, now that it's been a few years, I can say it was great, I'm starting to think maybe it wasn't.
My doctor isn't overly supportive of natural childbirth and is encouraging an epidural. I wasn't very happy after Grant was born, and those stories about playing cards, sleeping during labor, and being rested and thrilled when baby is born sound pretty wonderful.
BUT: I just watched this video that explains epidurals and how they work and I don't know what is worse. Natural childbirth or epidurals?
One reason I like the natural childbirth option is because recovery has been pretty easy... but on the other hand, maybe I wouldn't have to get an episiotomy (each and every time) if I were more relaxed during the final stages of labor. So maybe recovery would, in the long run, be easier with an epidural.
Joe, smart guy that he is, supports either option (although he ran away in the middle of the epidural video).
Any thoughts, ladies?
17 comments:
Epidurals are the BEST! I highly recommend them. I am induced with all of my kids early because of the gestational diabetes and the drugs they give you make labor a lot more intense. Those epidurals have saved me every time. I'm up and walking (well, shuffling) about 1.5 hours after the delivery. Not too bad I think.
I had an epidural with Grant and no epidural with Anna. Honestly, for me I suffered the same amount of pain each time.
With Grant, the labor and delivery was fantastic! No pain whatsoever! I napped, watched a movie, and enjoyed myself. The recovery however, was AWFUL and it took several days for me to feel like I could go anywhere or do anything.
With Anna, the delivery was painful but afterwards, I felt awesome! I walked from the delivery table to my recovery room an hour or two after I had her.
My mom experienced both too and she said it best, “you suffer through childbirth both with an epidural and without. You just need to decide when you want to suffer.”
I used to be soooooo anti natural childbirth, I didn’t understand why people wouldn’t get an epidural, but now after experiencing both, I don’t think I will get an epidural in the future.
Good luck with your decision, it is definitely personal and who cares what your dr. wants. He/she is not the one having the baby, you are, they are just assisting.
We've talked about how I had an epidural with Callie and no epidural with Zac. I just want to point out that I had an episiotomy with Callie but not one with Zac. Also, my recovery was much faster with Zac but I don't know if that was because it was my second.
That said, I will probably have an epidural next time. :)
Thanks for the yogurt recipe; I'm going to have to try it.
And p.s. you are so cute pregnant!
Debany was with an epidural. Myanna was all-natural. It was very nice to have to look at the monitor to see when I was having contractions, getting to feel the head, watch through a mirror (I'm kinda wierd, I guess. That stuff just fascinates me.) Myanna was much more painful, but I got to feel things that I didn't with an epidural. Much harder (kinda embarrassed about how I acted...) I've never had an episiotomy. I just figured that if I tear, which I did both times, the natural tearing heals better. And I really think it does. The really scary thing is that you have to sign your life away before you get an epidural. And when you're in pain and they're trying to put a needle in your spine when you're going through contractions -- it's not a very comforting thought. My epidural wasn't put in right the first time and they had to do it twice. I had numbness that lasted a VERRRRRRY VERRRRRY long time. Like months. And my son was brought into the world via c-section. So, lots of variety there. Nice to have a planned birth. All in all, it's a choice you'll have to make -- and I'm curious to know if you'll try it :). Good luck!
Jenny, I'm in the same boat right now and am starting to get nervous about labor again. I had an epidural with Eldon and didn't with Lilly, and it was as everyone has already said. It took me awhile to recover after Eldon and after Lilly I wanted to get up and shower, etc...I'm not sure if it was because of the epidural or not. It was also really really painful with Lilly, but I also had a lot of pitocin running through my veins. I'm hoping this time to avoid that and curious to see if it makes enough of a difference. If I can handle it without an epidural, I probably will. It doesn't sound fun though, but I'm really excited to have my body back once again. I forgot how uncomfortable late pregnancy is. Good luck with everything! Can't wait to hear what you are having!
I haven't experienced it yet but am hoping to do the non epidural way. The needle scares me more than pain, especially a massive one going in your back. I'm surprised that you've had an episiotomy with every kid - I didn't think they were used that much anymore. At the practice I go to they encourage perineal massage before and only do the episiotomy as a last resort - my midwife said he does maybe two a year. Hopefully you can avoid that this time. Good luck with your decision!
Well, I don't think I have much to add, I will anyway! ha ha. So in my experience, having the epidural or not did not affect whether or not I had an episiotomy. I had an episiotomy all three times. There are so many pros and cons with both. I say to follow your intuition. If someone told you you had to do it one way or the other, which one would you feel the most sad/upset about?
:D I can relate to dreading the natural childbirth pain. :) I am thinking I want an epidural this time, and I hope it works as well for me as it does for some women. (My sister got an epidural at 7 cm and was able to calm down! Her labor was shortish and progressed great. And she recovered just fine. Also, her baby breastfed well after a little practice.)
One of my friends had an epidural (low dose) after having had a natural birth, and she said they were both equally painful, and that she couldn't move with the epidural. Boo. Most women I know who get epidurals like them.
My fears are about the other interventions that medicated labor can bring: induction, which can lead to episiotomies or forceps/vacuums, and perhaps unnecessary C-sections. I am also a tiny bit afraid of complications from an epidural, but figure that these are rare.
This time I'd like to have an epidural, to see if I prefer it, and I figure that if something interferes with that option, that at least I know I can do it naturally, if I must.
I had an epidural and it was amazing. When I got the epidural it just felt like a getting a shot. My labor went really quickly (only six ours) and after an hour and a half before we got to the hospital, my contractions were very strong and painful. As soon as I got the epidural, I was finally able to relax. I didn't feel any pain during the delivery, but I was able to feel pressure and actually feel the baby come out. My recovery was great too. The epidural usually wears off enough after about 45min to two hours to get up and move around. I would strongly recommend an epidural. When I was having the painful contractions, all I could focus on was how much they hurt. But once the pain subsided, I was actually able to focus on the exciting thing that was about to take place.
Well, we talked about this a lot. It's funny because I've only had epidurals, but haven't been happy with them and now want natural. You are seeming to be the exact opposite! What I can say is this: most medical literature suggests that using an episiotomy is unnecessary and they don't heal as well as natural tears. I had an episiotomy with Lexy, and just a tear with Josh. I can definitely say the recovery with Josh was much better.
The epidural feels great. Takes you from agony to complete relaxation. I say if you want an epidural, go for it. Just ask your doctor to hold off on the episiotomy unless he thinks it is truly necessary.
Someone once said to me, "Would you go to the dentist without Novicane?" It made sense to me. My epidurals were amazing and labor and delivery is by FAR my favorite part of the whole bringing another human into the world.
It was such a fun, relaxing and exciting experience. Kind of nice that I was able to nap while my body was getting ready. I had so much energy and felt totally rested when my babies arrived. Love, love, love those anesthesiologist guys.
Now I can't read my own blog. Or the comments.
--Joe
Epidural!! I've only had them because I'm a whimp and the minute it starts to hurt I am done. I HATE pain and honestly the epidural looks bad but it doesn't hurt. I commend and admire you for going natural so many times. I had no problem with either recovery but then again I've only known one way. Good Luck! I really honestly think Heavenly Father lets you forget all the horrible scary things about child birth so you will get pregnant again and then when its to late it all comes back. You will do great!!!
You shouldn't watch those videos! :) Epidurals are WONDERFUL. My dad is an anesthesiologist. He's been giving epidurals everyday for 20 or more years. He has never had anything go wrong in his years of doing them. I remember watching him give an epidural. It was frightening watching it and GROSS. BUT you can't see what's happening when it's being done to you. :) and you don't hardly feel anything when they give it to you! It's a breeze. You will be GLAD you did it. You will get to experience lots of things and enjoy things that you otherwise wouldn't.
By the way...i tore real bad with my first. i had an epidural with him. Gavin was too big to fit through me so the doc decided to pull him out. He was an incompitent doc. Don't get me started with him! :) As soon as his head went under that bone i was in PAIN man. The epidural did nothing for that moment. I thought i was dying. Second was a c-section. Third, i had an epidural....he was out in 15 minutes. I felt nothing! Actually enjoyed the experience! I didn't tear, nothing. It was PERFECT. I felt amazing after giving birth to him. It was great
I had an epidural with each one of my four.
videos of anything always make it look worse.
Post a Comment