Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My New Thing



Homemade yogurt:

Healthy. Cheap. Delicious. Versatile. EASY.

What can I say? I'm addicted. I've been making yogurt about once a week for just over a month. And I'm never going back.

What to do:

1. Set the crockpot on low.
2. Pour in 8 cups of milk.
3. Whisk 5-6 Tbs. dry milk (optional).
4. Heat for 2 1/2-3 hours.
5. Turn off crockpot and let sit for 3 hours.
6. Whisk in 1/2 cup store-bought plain yogurt with live cultures.
7. Put lid on crockpot and stick just the pot part in the oven (cold) for 8-12 hours.
8. Strain using a cheesecloth (I use a thin dishtowel). This step is also optional, but it makes the yogurt a little thicker.
9. Flavor as desired. (It's better if you do this right before you eat it.)
*Store for 1-2 weeks (you'll eat it before then).


What I've learned:
*Whole milk is the yummiest, but any kind will do.
*I add the powdered milk because it makes it a little thicker (and healthier). The stuff you buy has gelatin in it to thicken it.
*After the first time you can save out 1/2 c. of yogurt to use for your next batch.
*You can substitute it for sour cream in recipes. The kids and I like it on our food (like baked potatoes and Mexican food), but Joe won't try it. It is a little runnier than sour cream, but since it is plain, it really doesn't taste any different.
*Use the whey (strained off part of yogurt) instead of water in recipes. For example, I've been using it when I make bread.

What I love:
*Yogurt parfaits.... a new fav. family breakfast. Add some frozen fruit and granola and wahlah! If it's not sweet enough--add some honey.
*Pina Colada (without alcohol, of course). Add crushed pineapple, sweetened coconut, and some sliced almonds.
*Yogurt and fruit smoothies satisfy my sugar cravings.
*Add some cream of coconut milk. DELISH!!!
*Any frozen fruit, fresh fruit, or jam is good, too. We've also squeezed limes and added some honey.... there are so many things!
*My kids love a small bowl as an after-school snack. And Mom doesn't mind. :)

You should try it!

3 comments:

Russ, Emily, Parker and Hannah said...

I've never made yogurt before but it seems easy enough from your recipe. I'm definitely giving it a try this week! Hannah loves yogurt so it would be fun to make it with her. Thanks for the post!

Lalani said...

I'm convinced and excited to try it.

Lalani said...

I LOVE the yogurt! And you're right - it doesn't last long at all. :)