Today I took on my third piano student: Grant!
I'm really excited for him. . . kind of worried for me! He has been asking me to teach him for months. Experience has taught me that kids are more ready to learn piano (and I more patient to teach it) when they can read a little bit--somehow it seems to correlate with the ability to read notes and understand what is being taught. It's also a big commitment for me, because I am struggling to be consistent in teaching Logan and Madison. But--it's super important to me that they learn how to play and I can't justify paying $60 a week when I know I have the knowledge and ability to give them that gift.
Anyway, he did great! Everything seemed to click pretty quickly, granted we just went over fingers, correct posture, and quarter and half notes. He clapped and counted, figured out low and high, and was really agreeable and happily cooperated. But when I told him his homework was to play his songs 5 times everyday he said, "Wait. We're done? I want to learn how to play Star Wars!"
Did I mention it's hard to be consistent? Also, it can be really frustrating when they don't know things like: what is the name of this note? I know I probably was the same, but it seems so simple to me now, and I don't understand why they are having a hard time with some concepts! It really is a lot easier to be patient with someone else's kids, unfortunately.
Logan likes to tell me that I'm wrong and he's right (like about notes and rhythms). It would be really funny if it wasn't really annoying.
Madison gets frustrated and cries that it's too hard (though she's the one who sits down on her own any opportunity she gets). I am trying to control that (because it drives me CRAZY!!!) by threatening her that she will have to pay me $18 for the lesson if she behaves that way. So far it has worked.
Grant is just getting started, but he's still excited.
And Ammon likes to sit on my lap and turns the pages for me while I try to play with him playing the piano over me.

1 comment:
James and I butt heads with just me trying to help him practice, so I am impressed! I do wish I knew how to play so I didn't have to pay so much for it. I better start saving now for when we have FOUR kids taking piano!
Post a Comment