Wednesday, August 7, 2013

My Psalm, circa 2009

As you know, I'm in a class right now that forces me to do quite a bit of writing. I forget how much I enjoy writing until I actually force myself to write regularly. (By the way, my grade right now is a 100%. Ka-chow.) I'm taking the class in order to keep my teaching certificate up to date--something I have to renew every 5 years. So, procrastinator that I am--the last time I did this was shortly after Joe got laid off from his job 4 years ago. I took a Bible as Literature class (which was absolutely fantastic, by the way). I have been reading through some of the stuff I did back then, which has been fun. I came across a Psalm I wrote for one of my assignments and thought I would share.

Keep in mind, this was the summer that Joe went to Dallas without me to study and take the Texas Bar and to start networking. I stayed in Cleveland with all the kids while trying to sell our home. It is interesting to me that only 4 years later I can see some of the blessing from the trials and understand why things had to be the way they were. Ironically, I believe I will be writing about this soon for the Personal History class I am taking now, and I will probably end up sharing it when I do. But for now, here is: 


Jennifer's Psalm


O Lord, I am human.

One minute grateful for the infinite blessings
Thou has bestowed upon my family,
And in the same breath
Anxious, angry, scared.

I remember the ways
Thou hast prepared my family
For the trials and unknown before us,
And then I doubt thy continued blessings to come.

I pray for faith in thee
To carry us over this river.
I pray for strength from thee
As we conquer this new battle.

Bless me to be as the widow of Zarephath,
That I may give what I have,
And be similarly rewarded.

May I be as Jacob of old,
Give us bread to eat,
Raiment to put on.

For thou art my God.

No comments: