Sunday, February 8, 2009

The third child.

So the kids and I (Jenny) went to my folks' place in PA for the weekend, which meant I had to be the driver and mediator for the children. We headed home after church, and I conveniently forgot to put a movie in the portable DVD player we use to keep the children quiet during longer drives. It is Sunday, after all. Instead we decided to sing Primary songs, read books, and talk. As expected, Grant, who sits between Madison and Logan, fell asleep almost immediately. Madison was next, then Logan, although the older two children woke up about an hour later. We then sang songs and talked. Then they began to play. Their voices got louder and louder. Then toys started to get passed back and forth--over Grant, of course. Then I heard things like, "Don't touch him." And, "Oops, sorry baby." I kept warning them not to wake Grant. Then I started to worry. Why wasn't he waking up? Was he ok? They were noisy. And touching him. And then I worried that maybe the blanket I had put on him was actually covering his head and he couldn't breathe. So I asked Logan to move the blanket. That, too, got passed back and forth. I became more worried and asked Logan if Grant was ok. "Yeah, mom." I was starting to really worry. So I actually reached back to see if I could feel him breathing. Yep, he's fine. It's amazing what a third child can sleep through.

3 comments:

Ammieloris said...

Perfect! What a fine talent Maddie and Logan have helped Grant to hone!

JT42 said...

wait until #4!! I've never really panicked as much as I have since #4 during naps, boy does she saw logs, or maybe she has a very distinct talent of tuning people out ;)

Russ, Emily, Parker and Hannah said...

Things to look forward to. I had to chuckle a little with your panic because I've done it so many times when Hannah's taken long naps or sleeps in in the morning. Finally, I just check to put my mind to ease and there she is sleeping perfectly safe. Oh the worries of a mom. I had no idea there would be so many! I'm glad you had a safe trip.