Friday, February 20, 2009

February 18, 2009

Cut day.

Cleveland was dank this Wednesday. I drove the entire 9-mile potholed commute into work thinking about the ominous weather. I knew that this commute was likely my last.

On Tuesday I received an email requesting a meeting for me to meet with the partner-in-charge of my firm's Ohio offices. The work had been slow, and was getting slower. Once it became clear that the workload lull might very well turn into the new status quo, I knew that jobs at work would have to be eliminated.

And on Wednesday, mine was.

The firm responded to this economic crisis by dropping over 30 people. Good people. I'm sure the decision was difficult for those who made it, but that hardly eases the pain.

Fortunately Jenny and I saw this coming. We had already started putting out feelers several months ago back home in Texas. Additionally,--and I don't want to disparage my firm in any way--I was far from happy at work. I had already decided that professional growth would have to come from a new opportunity outside the firm, so my resume had already graced a few eyes before being told to update it on Wednesday.

Despite having already decided to leave, there's still a sense of disappointment at not being able to do it entirely on my own terms. I wanted that preemptive strike. But that hardly matters now.

From here we will, along with half of Cleveland, put our house on the market. We will go back to Texas (where Jenny has been DYING to go for ages), and seek opportunities there. Most likely it will be Dallas.

Last Saturday the Welch's were kind enough to watch our children (on V-day, no less) so that Jenny and I could go have lunch. While Jenny was eating the ice cream dessert we were supposed to be sharing, I told her that I had a spiritual prompting that this would be my last week at work. She accepted it. From that point forward we began to make plans for our next move.

I truly believe that this same spirit is guiding us now. We've felt its presence in our hearts, and in our friends' kind words and deeds. Perhaps I'm overly existential, but this will be one of those stories we tell our kids about how bad things happen so that greater things can come our way.

In the meantime, we are excited about the work we have ahead of ourselves.



16 comments:

Julie said...

WOW! I have so many friends that are loosing their jobs! I love to see the hand of the lord work in our lives. I am just sad that we are so close and have not seen each other very much! My prayers are with you guys!! God Bless!!!

H.Cook said...

I am going to cry! I don't want you guys to leave ( you and 80% of our friends)... But, good luck! Chris's sister lives near Dallas so we may come visit you sometime!

Jenny said...

Wow you guys. I'm glad you saw it coming so you could start looking toward the future. Good luck with everything!

. said...

Ah!! I am sorry to hear the bad news but we are happy to hear that you are coming home to texas. we know how you feel and we also know that the lord is looking out for you and things will work out.

. said...

p.s. we still own a house in florida so we feel your pain.

The Crabtree Chronicles said...

Hey, we are praying for you and hope you are able to settle soon in a place that you love. Good luck and keep us posted on where you are heading....we highly recommend northern California. :)

Ashlee and Shane said...

oh my gosh! You guys are going to be soooo missed! Good luck in the move! I hope everything works out just fine for you, and it sounds like it will! When are you leaving?!?! :(

Rachel said...

You might not think this is funny but my second thought(after feeling sad) was that you would be able to keep having babies in different states. Yeah Im a dork. . .

The Boyles said...

Hey guys -
So sorry to hear the news- but we have to say we really love Texas - especially when it is FREEZING everywhere else in the winter! We had quite a few friends who got their law degrees from Tech that ended up in Dallas, and one that ended up in Austin. Let us know if you want us to contact any of them for info!

Matthew said...

Joe,

Sorry to hear that about this unfortunate turn of events.

You are a capable and warm person, and we are confident you will go on to do great things.

Please let us know if you need anything from us.

--John Bragonje

Ammieloris said...

I am going to miss you! (I know we are moving, too, but still...) This post is shocking and tender and hopeful. God bless. :)

Julia and Aaron said...

I'm sorry to hear that. We too are worried about the economy. Aaron will graduate in December with his Master's and we are now seriously considering doing a PhD because we're worried about what opportunities the job market may offer...We're just exploring every venue possible and hope something good will turn up. Good luck to you guys. I'm sure it will be really nice to be near family. Take care!

Russ, Emily, Parker and Hannah said...

I'm sorry to hear about your job. Good luck on the job search! We'd love for you guys to consider moving out here. I'm sure Jenny (Friden) would agree too.

Cobb Family said...

So, moving away huh?? I have to say it makes me sad. I was hoping to get your way again for a longer stay. Even though we are a few hours away it felt like you were closer than that!! Anyway, now if ever Texas comes into our travel plans I know who to call!!! Love you guys, and good luck!

Jackie said...

So sorry to hear about the job loss. I'm glad that you were able to see it coming, and that it wasn't so much of a shocker. What a blessing that you have been able to send out your resume already. We hope everything ends up how you'd like it to!

Lauren said...

So Sorry guys! We are going to miss you!! I know everything will work out the way it is supposed too. If you need anything, please call me!!