

Hello Beijing Olympics! Some of you, many of you, know that Joe and I met in a Mandarin Chinese class and went to China to teach English after we got married. We were in China, in 2001, when it was announced that Beijing would host the 2008 Olympics. Everyone was so excited. They immediately began printing out t-shirts, key chains, and other things with the Olympic symbol, and of course, they said "Beijing 2008." At the time we thought it was kind of funny. It seems so far away.... And now, as the Olympics begin, I feel that pull to China again. There's been a lot of controversy about China's policies. Several people have asked me "why China?" And I honestly don't know. It's so fantastic. Addictive. Beautiful. Different. Walking down the city streets... riding a rented bike in Guilin. Of course, part of loving China is knowing that we can return to the United States.... where we can attend the church of our choice, and openly share our beliefs. I think that hosting the Olympics, and the criticism China has faced, will help their people and their country. Even in the 8 years I have been interested in China and studied its history, people, and culture, so much has changed.
One of the reasons Joe took his job in Cleveland is that his firm was excited about his minor in Mandarin. We've always dreamed, hoped, that someday we could take our family over there to work for a few years. We forget a little, each year, how much we want to go back. But as I see the recent pictures of China and Beijing, I remember our goal. So, yes, I'm excited about the Olympics. But mostly because its in China.
p.s. I wish I had some more personalized pics to post, but unfortunately we went before digital cameras were a big thing. And we don't have a scanner.
2 comments:
Hi Jenn, I've been thinking of you while we've been watching the olympics. What an awesome opportunity to have lived in China. I loved reading about your experience.
Yeah, that Chinese class though, I hear the Chinese teacher was a real bozo. Glad you snagged a cute husband out of all that. And YES! It's soooo exciting about the Olympics being in China. Scott and Madi!!!!!! are off to China on Wednesday. They won't, unfortunately, make it to Beijing.
Post a Comment