Friday, November 22, 2013

We Are Truly Grateful

The kids have been singing this around the house and I finally asked their music teacher for the words because I love it so much. Here's a picture of her copy. Too bad you can't hear the kids' lovely voices as they sing it.

I'm feeling really grateful today. Grateful for the rain and the cold, Thanksgiving-appropriate weather. Grateful that I got all of my visiting teaching done this month! Grateful for good parents, good kids, good husband. Grateful for Duck Dynesty. Seriously, so good.

It all started when I walked into the boys' room and felt really ungrateful that the three of them were squished in there and ungrateful for the resulting clutter. Then I walked into the playroom and saw the 6 loads of laundry I had been folding spread out all over the floor. And on top of that (well, really in front of the clothes), Grant decided to build a fort and had pulled out tables and chairs and tunnels and blankets and teepee poles. It was truly a disaster zone!

My first thought was, "I can't wait until we buy a bigger house. I hope it happens soon! And I hope that somehow we can find what we really want!"

Then I checked that thought with, "Stop complaining, woman! Look at all of this glorious evidence of a glorious life! So many clothes that you can spread them out all over the floor! A washer and dryer that allows you to do it all in one day (if you really wanted to, anyway). Three boys who get to spend a lot of time together because they share a room! That fort--remember how excited Grant was about his creation? Sure, a bigger house would be nice, but this is what you have right now and it is awesome!" 

I knelt on the floor by my bed and thanked my Heavenly Father for all that He has blessed us with, and said that whatever was store for my family would be perfect.

And then Ammon climbed up on my bed, got close to my ear, and started yelling, "Mom! Wake UP! Time to play!"

Seriously, Truly, Grateful.


1 comment:

Jenny said...

This is beautiful Jenn. A great reminder! My 13 month old is into EVERYTHING and empties my kitchen cupboards and drawers all day long. I love this toddling stage, but I complain about the mess. I've been trying to remind myself that what's most important is that he is happy and that I just need to embrace the fact that I have to step over and around multiple kitchen items just to get to the sink. The mess that my two older kids make is a little harder to embrace. :) I love your perspective.

And I love your Chinese boyfriend post. That is hilarious.