As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. --John F. Kennedy
I will never forget a conversation I had on one of my first dates. The boy was driving me home; I can remember the exact location--going down a hill in front of a bar about 4 miles from my house. He said something like this, "So... I got in an argument today with one of my friends. I defended you. He said you were Mormon."
Silence.
I didn't know what to say... He made it sound like being Mormon was bad and he had defended me by saying--what? That I wasn't Mormon?
"Um. I am a Mormon."
"Oh."
I don't think I ever hid the fact that I belonged to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormon Church). It's not a secret. All of my close friends knew because I would complain talk about not being able to wear tank tops and they would ask me tons of questions about our health code (we don't drink coffee or tea, smoke, or consume alcohol). Many of them knew that my dad was a bishop, and they would even call him "Bishop Foster" when they saw him at school events.
I guess I just didn't broadcast that I was Mormon.
Since then, I've become a bit bolder about my religion. I'm a little more confident about my beliefs (and Mitt Romney ran for president). I mention it on facebook; I bore you with it on the blog. My beliefs are a huge part of my life; I don't know who or where I'd be without them!
I have a great friend who makes yummy food. She will invite me over for lunch, sometimes she surprises me by bringing food to my house, or she might text/call and ask me to come try something she's made. It's yummy. I savor every bite and enjoy our conversation--and wish I could make such delicious, healthy food. The truth is. . . I'm afraid to return the favor and offer her the food I make because I'm afraid that it's not as good.
So if I had something really yummy--I'd want to give it to you so you could enjoy something yummy--and of course, the company would be fantastic. ;) I'm still working on something guest-worthy. But I was thinking: Christ calls himself the "bread of life" and the "living water." So it appears that food and religion seem to go hand-in-hand; our bodies and our spirits both need to be fed. And the gospel food (our church doctrines)--I've tried it, and it's good.
I know, does that sound corny? But I'm serious. I look at the people around me who struggle, and I want to help them and give them this knowledge that I know could change their lives in a positive way. I'm not saying I don't struggle--because I do; life is hard. But the church teachings answer the basic life questions: where we came from, who we are, why we're here, and where we're going. The (some would say strict) guidelines that we adhere to enabled me to be a good person who was worthy to meet another good person with the same standards and beliefs, and together we created a family of six. And now--we are teaching those same principles to our children so that they can live and lead fulfilling and productive lives with their own good families.
Seriously. The fruit of the gospel is good.
So if you're looking for something--truth, hope, purpose, spiritual nourishment--I can share with you. You can come to my house, or I can bring it to you. That's what friends do--they share good things!
1 comment:
I love this Jenn! You have a way with words.
Post a Comment