Last night Madison did our family home evening (FHE). She chose to teach us about being kind to one another, which I approved of 100%, because lately it seems like there are a lot of loud voices and unkind words around here. I know, hard to believe, but yes, the McGregor's are not perfect.
Not even close.
So we sat down and went through what she wanted to do (that's the rule--if you want to teach you have to run the lesson by mom or dad). We chose a scripture from King Benjamin (Mosiah 4:14-15) and had an activity to act out different scenarios where it might be difficult to be kind (someone gets hurt, laughing at an unfortunate moment, someone saying something mean, someone taking something of yours. . . you get the idea).
It should have been a great lesson. And it was...if we could've just gotten through it without the contention we were trying to talk about not having in our home.
Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.
************
Tuesday is my volunteer at school day. Only one teacher took me up on my offer to help out this year, so Ammon and I go to Grant's kindergarten classroom to put together the Tuesday folders (the day all the papers get sent home across the district). It works out really well because the kids have lunch at 11:00, 11:30, and 12:00. So we take turns each week eating with one of the kids and I try to make sure I get to see and hug all of them.
Today is Tuesday. It also happens to be the coldest day so far this fall, so Ammon and I decided it would be fun to take the kids some hot chocolate for lunch (they usually have water in their thermos's). We stopped at the gas station and got 5 small hot chocolates; an employee there deserves a gold star for finding me a box that fit all of the hot styrofoam cups--couldn't have done it without his help!
First we headed to the cafeteria to drop off a cup for Grant. He gave us a hug and was excited for the treat.
Then Ammon and I went to the classroom and assembled folders.
From there we went back to the cafeteria and ate lunch with Logan. He was happy for the cup of hot chocolate after a cold recess, and I enjoyed getting to talk to his friends. They are nice boys!
Logan left and we waited for Madison to come into the cafeteria. She didn't see us sitting in the back, so we walked around and surprised/scared her. She was so excited--for the hot chocolate--but mostly because I brought her the hot chocolate. She gave me this big, happy hug and said, "Mom, this is perfect!! I have been cold all morning and this will warm me up." I think she felt extra loved, and I felt extra loved with her reaction.
Sometimes we win. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment