Monday, April 16, 2012

Scary Stories

1. A few weeks ago I was getting in my car at the Walmart parking lot when I noticed the car parked in front of me had two men sitting in the front seat. When I saw one of the men pointing out at me I hurried to get in my car and locked the doors. One of the guys came and knocked on my window. I asked him what he wanted through the glass. He asked me to open my door, I said, "What do you need?" He told me that their car was dead and they needed a jump. I explained (through the glass) that I didn't have jumper cables. He said they did and asked me to get out. I have heard too many bad stories that started this way, so I said, "no" and told him I needed to leave to pick up my son. Who knows, maybe I turned down an opportunity to help someone, but I didn't feel safe.

2. Today I left the elementary school and a silver car with a sun-roof pulled out behind me. I didn't think anything of it until it made the same 3 turns I did. I turned onto a road that turns back onto the road I was already on, the car followed. I thought that was strange, and the car continued to follow me very closely as I continued to turn on roads leading back to my house. I started to think maybe the car was following me, so I drove past my road and turned onto a different road. He followed. My body started to literally shake as I realized that this man was following me. For probably 5-10 minutes I was turning onto every road, speeding, trying to follow the advice given on "Burn Notice" (kind of funny now) for how to lose someone. I went 45 mi/hr on 30/hr neighborhood roads, turning as often as I could. Finally, I could not see the car behind me, so I drove out to a main road, and the guy drove past me and looked right at me and smiled. Then he turned at the next opportunity and got behind me. I finally went to a public parking spot, and I didn't see him anymore. The boys and I went into a small restaurant for lunch and I kept looking out the window, hoping not to see this silver car. I called Joe and he asked my why I didn't call the police; I explained that I felt like a paranoid girl calling the police to say someone was following me--but I KNOW without a doubt that he was. I did finally call the police so that they could make a note of it in case I see the guy or his car again. I hurried in the house and locked all the doors, shut and locked all the windows. I'm nervous to let the kids play outside today. I never drove by the house, but that guy followed me all over the neighborhoods around here--what if he comes back to look for our van? We haven't been parking in the garage because there are too many bikes/scooters/ toys. . . but maybe we will have to figure out a way to park in there. 

Who knows--maybe the guy saw our BYU license plate and wanted to ask me about being a Mormon. . . but I tell you what, I am still shaking, and it's been almost 2 hours.

On the way home from the police station a silver car with a sunroof was behind me, and I started worrying that somehow he was still following me--even from the police station. 

Someone knocked on the door after we got home--probably some salesperson--but I took the boys in our upstairs closet and shut all the doors in-between, hoping the people outside couldn't hear our noise. 

This is no way to live. 

I need to invest in some Mace or self-defense classes. 


9 comments:

Sara said...

Oh my goodness!! I'm sorry I turned down your lunch invitation! What creepers!

Amy Gibson said...

Jen, I know we already talked on the phone about this today. But I just wanted to say that is freaking scary!!! You should get a gun! Seriously!

The Gilmore Bunch said...

Seriously Scary! BJ

Russ, Emily, Parker and Hannah said...

Yikes!! I'm glad you are okay. What a scary experience!

Jenny said...

Scary! I have had a similar parking lot experience twice since living in Reno. One time I was loading groceries into my trunk in the Walmart parking lot after dark and I saw a guy clear across the parking lot. I got that creepy feeling. When I looked up again a few seconds later, he was walking quickly toward my car. I just started chucking groceries in and then jumped in the car and locked the door and managed to remember how to put the car in drive. So scary. The other experience was similar.

And just so I can write a novel in your comment section, here's another story. A few weeks after I had Zac there was some pretty persistent loud knocking/door bell ringing while Troy was at work. I looked out the window but didn't recognize the vehicle and I wasn't about to answer the door. I called Troy and was really upset and he stayed on the phone with me until the person left. A few minutes later, I get a phone call from an unknown number. I didn't answer it, thinking it was the same person. The message said, "Hi, this is Flowers By Patti. We just left an arrangement on your doorstep." Ha! It was for mothers day from Troy's parents. But seriously scared me!

The guy following you is really scary. I would obviously be nervous too. You should definitely call the police if it happens again. And park in the garage.

Molly said...

Just call the police next time Jen, it's ok to sound paranoid, they would have pulled up behind you and pulled that guy over.

Emily said...

Oh my gosh!! So freaky!

Emily said...

As I sit at home alone with the kids...

Elizabeth said...

Wow, both of those stories are so scary! I'm so glad you're ok and I hope you've been able to get some peace of mind since. You were very smart to stay in your car and talk through the window. Your safety is more important than helping some guy or answering questions about your license plate holder. And clearly the spirit was warning you, not telling you to share with them! You don't have to make excuses when it comes to safety.