Saturday, September 12, 2009

What I didn't do today:

There were 3 classes at the stake enrichment activity I attended today, and in one of them we talked about stress. Boy, my life has been stressful lately. Anyway, someone made a comment about how blogs were so stressful because we only read all the great things people are doing and it makes us feel bad. The teacher, Jessica Peterson, made this great comment that I CAN'T get out of my head. She said something like, "Yeah, when we tell people how many things we got done that day, they say 'good job' or 'you're amazing!' If I were to tell people I had dirty dishes in my sink, they might be like, (in a quiet voice) 'that's nice.'" So I'm going to brag about what I did not get done today:

  • The kids' rooms are a mess. Madison's dresser drawer broke, so there are clothes all over her room.
  • I did not fix the drawer. It requires nails. 
  • I have dirty dishes in my sink.
  • I let my kids watch a movie.
  • I have a basket full of clothes to put away. 
  • I'm sure there are more things, but I'm starting to feel uncomfortable telling you this.
  • Please share with me something YOU did not get done today!

13 comments:

balloongal said...

I didn't do laundry because I also didn't put all the bathroom stuff back in the bathroom after they sprayed for cockroaches yesterday. It would take about 5 minutes to unload the laundry area and reload the bathroom, but I haven't done it yet.
-Kristin

Skye said...

I didn't go to the Stake RS activity. I didn't do the dishes. I forgot to take Kaelyn to the park like I promised. I didn't fold the laundry. Hmm, while not exhaustive, I think that is sufficent.

HeatherC said...

Let's just say I've got the bathroom half-cleaned. It's been on the to do list all week. That's all I'm sharing tonight, but I assure you there's a long list of not quite done's that I'm just not worrying about right now!

Jenny said...

I love this post. My daughter completely emptied one of my lower kitchen cabinets. I have bowls, tupperware, funnels, etc. strewn all over my kitchen and living room floors and I'm not picking any of it up tonight.

Brittney said...

I did not sweep or mop. I did not do any laundry. I dusted half of my living room. I did not make dinner, just leftovers tonight. Instead, I went to Scotty's soccer game, watched two football games, and went to a quilting store for fabric. Very productive, eh?

Rachel said...

I think as women that is one of the challenges we have. We all want to put our best foot forward, and then we judge ourselves based on what we see others doing, even though they aren't doing it either. I try really hard to be honest about the fact that my house is always messy. And I really dont like dishes, so they dont get done usually until the counter space is eaten up, or we run out.

debbie said...

Thanks, Jenn! Especially when I first started reading blogs, I always felt bad about the millions of things other people were getting done and especially all the cool activities people do with their kids, because that's something I'm not really good at. Since it's the weekend, I don't feel like I have anything to share, so I'll share this from a few weeks ago. BYU added Nickelodeon to our cable and the day we found it, Damon was in LOVE. He sat there and watched it for hours and hours. And I thought, "Good. I have a new baby to take care of, and he can watch TV for as long as he'll sit there."

Lalani said...

I didn't pull our my baby quilt to work on - and my sister is due any day! I also didn't tidy Megan's room before I put her to sleep last night. There is more...thanks for sharing this post.

Sarah Steele said...

I didn't get myself or the kids dressed until 3:30 p.m.

Russ, Emily, Parker and Hannah said...

I didn't do dishes or clean the kitchen. Sometimes it's really refreshing to hear that everyone else doesn't have a clean house or perfectly clean kids all the time!

JT42 said...

what a fabulous post! i was just thinking what "interesting" or "new" thing I could put on the blog and hadn't come up with anything...this just might make it-mind if I borrow the idea??
and what I didn't do was fold the whites (yesterday) sitting on the couch taking up space that the kids are throwing them all over the living room! makes for a grouchy mom on a sunday...hmmm...i'm still working on patients too...and spelling-oops

The JL McGregor Family said...

Teressa--can't wait to read yours!

I was going to write a long explanation, but maybe I will just post it instead.

Amy Gibson said...

I know this is a super old post...but I wanted to comment on it anyway. Jen thank you so much for putting down all the stuff you didn't accomplish. I loved the comment about how blogs are stressful because they make you feel horrible because every one tells you all the great things...but none of the hardships. Total confession...I bawled last night because i was feeling so horrible about myself as a mother and wife....I had just finished reading a friends blog and it totally made me feel worse. THanks for being realistic and genuine. Love ya! Amy Gibson