Logan has had an umbilical hernia since he was born. We were hopeful that it would heal on its own, but after 5 years we decided to have it surgically repaired. Logan was a little nervous, but prepared and ok with the idea of cutting his tummy, pushing his intestines in, and sewing it back up so he could have a normal belly-button. We said good-bye to it that morning and took some pictures to remember it. Grandma was able to come down and watch Madison and Grant while Joe and I were at the Cleveland Clinic with Logan. (We were worried about Grant, but Grandma claims he never cried and took 3 bottles without hesitation. What a blessing!) The dr's and nurses were terrific. As you can see, he wasn't too worried. A counselor came in and talked to Logan about the gas mask--he was actually excited to breath through the "astronaut" mask. I (Jenny) was able to go in with him to the operating room while they put him to sleep (which was a little scary) and then Joe and I waited for a few hours while the dr. did his magic. Logan was quite sore, but able to walk to the bathroom by himself by the end of the day. It's been four days and he's doing great. He's sore, but that doesn't keep him from playing--he just holds his tummy and kind of walks bent-over, like and old man. How do you explain to a 5-yr-old that he really needs to take it easy for 3 weeks? Thanks to everyone who has called to see how he is doing. Mom, thanks for using your time to take care of us. We love you!
Friday, November 14, 2008
Logan has Surgery
Logan has had an umbilical hernia since he was born. We were hopeful that it would heal on its own, but after 5 years we decided to have it surgically repaired. Logan was a little nervous, but prepared and ok with the idea of cutting his tummy, pushing his intestines in, and sewing it back up so he could have a normal belly-button. We said good-bye to it that morning and took some pictures to remember it. Grandma was able to come down and watch Madison and Grant while Joe and I were at the Cleveland Clinic with Logan. (We were worried about Grant, but Grandma claims he never cried and took 3 bottles without hesitation. What a blessing!) The dr's and nurses were terrific. As you can see, he wasn't too worried. A counselor came in and talked to Logan about the gas mask--he was actually excited to breath through the "astronaut" mask. I (Jenny) was able to go in with him to the operating room while they put him to sleep (which was a little scary) and then Joe and I waited for a few hours while the dr. did his magic. Logan was quite sore, but able to walk to the bathroom by himself by the end of the day. It's been four days and he's doing great. He's sore, but that doesn't keep him from playing--he just holds his tummy and kind of walks bent-over, like and old man. How do you explain to a 5-yr-old that he really needs to take it easy for 3 weeks? Thanks to everyone who has called to see how he is doing. Mom, thanks for using your time to take care of us. We love you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Logan is such a brave boy. I love the picture of Grant in the leaves. Classic! And the Madison the witch picture is so cute. I love kids' imaginations. And happy birthday to Joe!
Feel Better Logan!!! You are soo brave!
i am glad he is doing good. I had a hernia directly above my belly button that i got fixed a year ago. When i see him in primary i will have to see how he is doing and tell him that we are just alike! :)
I'm glad everything went well with the surgery. Your kids costumes are really cute. It looks like you've had fun the last few weeks!
oh, i so know the emotions that must have been with you this whole time...it's not a big deal, but it is...surgery is a big deal no matter what the case...glad to hear things are well and that he's recouping...you're such a good mommy!
What a brave boy Logan is. I had that same surgery when I was five.
Post a Comment