To be honest, I'm having a hard time being motivated as far as summer updating goes. Time consuming. Lots of words. Boring. So today it's just: what I am thinking.
Oooh yeah.
1. I was thinking about some of my favoritest, happiest, things. Most of them involve me being lazy. Like someone else making dinner. Someone else cleaning my house. Those things don't happen very often. Does that mean I'm not lazy? Anyway. One of my favoritest, happiest things is when I am still sleeping and Joe goes to work. That sounds bad, I know, but hear me out. This also doesn't happen very often because a) the kids are in school most of the year and b) even when they are not in school they get up at 6 a.m. c) I have this thing about us all uniting for a hot breakfast before everyone leaves for the day. Soooo...... on the rare occasions that Joe goes to work before I get up, he stops by the bed to give me a kiss and tell me good bye. And he smells SO GOOD! Think shower gel, shaving cream, toothpaste, mouth wash, mouth rinse, and cologne. There is nothing like waking up to that mixture of clean smelling goodness. And he's a lawyer (I'm married to a LAWYER!!), which means that on most days he's all dressed up in a suit and tie. It's a nice way to wake up, that's all.
2. I said something to a friend about 5 years ago, and it has haunted me ever since. We invited a few friends over and one of the gals said, "Every time we come to your house it is spotless. Is your house ever dirty?" Trying to be honest, I said, "Well.... I hate messes. So yeah, I try really hard to keep it clean." *Don't those people make you so MAD?* That was right before Grant was born. And as we add people we add things. And also there are more people. Did you know that more people = more mess? Also, contrary to popular belief: the older people get the more mess they are capable of making. Funny how that works. So let me tell you right now: My house is not always clean. I still spend more time than I'd like cleaning, but it is rarely ever spotless. And for heaven's sake, do NOT look in the garage. Or the master walk-in closet. I realize I talk about the state of my home on here a lot. I believe it is a sensitive subject for me--one that I am trying to overcome and become comfortable with. Because the truth is: my house is not always organized. And that is ok. There are 6 people growing, playing, living, and learning here--and cleaning should not be my main priority. (Plus, to be honest, I don't really love cleaning toilets. Surprise!) I worry that it takes up too much of my life, but if I don't do it I go crazy. It's just one of those things that has to get done. So as we are preparing to send kids off to school (wah!) and the 50 bags of school supplies are piled up by my front door. Etc. Etc. I am trying to remind myself that I am in the business of raising children. And Melinda, if you somehow read this: please forgive me for my ignorance!
Joe: While I appreciate that Jenny thinks I smell good in the mornings (it's Acqua Di Gio, case you're wondering), I am compelled to set a record straight. The truth is that I teach early morning Seminary each morning, and I can count on one hand the mornings she got up with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment