*I forgot to mention that the 3 older kids sang "The Army of Helaman" with Brent on his last Sunday before leaving on his mission. I played for them and they sounded so great! Even Grant knew the words, and I don't think any of them really got stage fright.
Week 2 kind of running together and getting all mixed up with week 3, but to the best of my memory:
Monday: ?
Tuesday: we invited Priscilla and her boys over to play and for lunch. Fun, fun! Grandpa also butchered two hens for us to eat for dinner. They were yummy, and I ate them, but it was kind of weird to know that I was eating something that had been running around on the farm a few hours earlier. Then. . . the electricity went out and somehow (coincidentally?) the water pump died. No water pump means no running water anywhere in the house. It was a little stressful. So while Grandma and Grandpa rushed to get water going before all the stores closed, the kids and I went swimming at a friend's house down the road.
*Side story: Grandpa told the the kids that they couldn't flush the toilet because the electricity was out (this is before we knew the pump had died). He was explaining the science behind it--so we didn't notice Grant walk out of the room. A few seconds later he jubilantly runs back into the living room and announces, "You are wrong Grandpa! The toilet still flushes!" SOOOO.... the last flush was all for nothing. :) What could we do but laugh?
Wednesday: we met up with some of my high school friends and went swimming. We stayed much longer than anticipated, but only because we were having so much fun. I was a little worried that it would be awkward because I haven't seen these girls for years and years--and we are at different stages in life. It was fun, though.
Thursday: ?
Friday: we went to McDonald's for lunch and then walked around the mall while Grandma got a perm. I was going to get my hair dyed for the first time ever. . . but chickened out when I found out it would cost $100. This is when Grant had his freak-out moment with the poopy bum in the men's restroom. Anyway, I was checking out the prices of jeans for new school clothes, and the best I could find was $12 at JCPennys. Now, this is not a horrible price but Logan needed new pants, Madi needed new pants, and you'd think I'd be good on pants for everyone else, but Logan started going through pants every 4ish months when he turned 5. Grant happens to need size 5 pants: Grant needed pants. Luckily, we still have hand-me-downs for Ammon. So even if I skimped on pants and just got 5 pairs for 3 kids--that's
15
x12
------
$180
That's not even thinking about shirts, socks, shoes, dresses, underwear, etc. So I asked Dad if I could leave the kids with him for a bit while I checked out the thrift store. As I was on my way out I saw my mom paying for her hair, so I recruited her to go with me. We ended up with 16 pairs of pants and 1 dress for $28! Every single article of clothing was in great condition, and we are all set on pants for the next year! It was a tender mercy.
Saturday: We went to a pioneer day celebration at Kinzua Park. I think that is where it was. The kids fished for a while, we ate dinner, there were some games (3-legged races, watermelon seed spitting, Red Rover, and a shoe-hunt where Logan won $5). Then we went over to the beach side of the park and let everyone swim for a few minutes. Our goal that evening was to get the kids in bed by 8:00, and we didn't know if we could make it because of the mandatory showers that needed to take place. What did we do? When we got back to the house I hopped out of the car to grab everyone's stuff, and then we drove up into the woods and all the kids took separate showers at the same time at the girl's camp (that's right--my parent's have a girl's camp up in their woods!). There is nothing quite like taking a warm shower out in the open air! (There are wrap around shower curtains, but when you look up it's all sky and tree branches). They were in bed by 8:09.
Sunday: The McGregor kids made up about 50% of the primary choir that morning, and they sang 2-3 pioneer songs in Sacrament Meeting.
No comments:
Post a Comment