As I mentioned a few posts ago, we got a bigger than 15" T.V.
This has been a much debated topic in our house because I LOVE not watching television.
I grew up in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania, and the only television we watched was a very fuzzy channel 12. Instead I read up in my tree, read in the fields, walked in the woods, and did lots and lots of work around the farm. OK, so maybe I was supposed to do lots of work, but I whined so much that I probably didn't do as much as I think I did. And I should probably note that I did not think it was cool at the time to not watch all the shows my peers were watching.
My point is: I hate the noise of the TV. I hate the time wasted in front of the TV. I think that kids should be outside running around and playing with their friends, reading books, doing art, or playing an instrument. Something constructive and healthy.
But. . . when we do family movie nights, it was kind of annoying that we couldn't see the movie without squinting. And my parents surprised us with a Wii for Christmas--and while I think that could also be a time-waster, I am actually excited about the interaction and exercise it could potentially provide. And then there's General Conference. And wouldn't it be nice to maybe someday invite friends over to watch a movie?
So we got one.
Then came the issue of trying to figure out where to put it. At first I wanted it go upstairs in the play area so that my living area could remain distraction-free. But there isn't enough seating upstairs for everyone to enjoy the movie. Plus it's a pain to drag all of the food and dishes upstairs on pizza night. But the main reason I considered putting the t.v. in the main living area is that it is the room that is most likely to be clean and fresh and relaxing (despite what Madison is telling everyone). And let's face it, if I am going to cuddle up and watch a movie, I want it to be in a nice atmosphere--and sometimes the play area is not that place (unless, of course, I want to spend 30 minutes cleaning it, which I don't want to do after the kids are in bed).
The final decision: TV in the downstairs living area.
This presented its own problems, which included several different furniture arrangements. I couldn't win it all, and after Joe kindly moved the piano all over the living room for arrangement experiments, it is now blocking the fire place, which I guess is ok because we don't even use the fire place, but it is a little sad to me anyway.
We do not have cable or satellite, which I am hoping stays that way forever regardless of whether or not we ever have money to pay for it.
I think we've turned it on for one movie night (which I wasn't there for because my dear husband surprised me with a babysitter and took me out on a date!), for a few you-tube videos (check out "cello wars", and some "just dance" and "wii sports." I'm not totally convinced, but so far so good.
2 comments:
I doubt anyone has more to say on this topic than me! Also I am willing to bet you are the closest to me in tv history and dislike! But i do watch dvd's while on the eliptical, or when I am sick and every once in a while I think would be nice if the tv weren't so big and square and taking up all that space... but NOPE not for the Huangs and never where I would just SIT and watch.
I also hate walking into a living room and having a t.v. be tge focal point. My solution to this has always been having an armoire that I can hide it in, and just simply open the doors when it needs to be used. I'm not sure if it would work in your particular floor plan or not. Maybe an L shape with your seating, the armoire on one wall, and the fireplace on the other? I can usually find armoires on our local classifieds for $100. If they're ugly, it only a takes a little paint or stain to fix it.
Post a Comment