Sunday, May 1, 2011

While Jenn Sleeps

Right now Jennifer is taking a well-deserved nap, so I thought I would use this opportunity to catalogue a few of her most embarrassing moments.

Not really.

I came into the bedroom to look up a recipe on the computer and I saw Jenny in deep slumber, with her right thumb wedged inside the book she fell asleep reading, and her left arm cradling Ammon. The scene tugged this dude's heartstrings, as it reminded me once again that I am one extremely lucky husband who married far, far outside his league.

So I thought I would document a few things about Jennifer you probably already know, but am reminded about on a constant basis:

1. She has a superb memory. Seriously, sometimes it's scary. She remembers every conversation you hoped she would forget, every price you paid too much for, and every good deed ever paid to her. She can remember dishes she ordered while we were dating. She remembers when someone 7 years ago brought her a plate of cookies. It's amazing, and just a tad bit creepy.

2. She can't sit still. The only thing she can't remember is the definition of "relax." She is always cleaning, researching, doing some project. Every Friday night she maps out exactly what is going to happen on Saturday. She creates extra work for the kids ostensibly so she will have something to help them with. Her energy amazes me.

3. She's loyal. I'm not a very good friend, and I think I've always had a hard time making or keeping friends. Not Jennifer. She's accepting of everyone, and she remains loyal forever. Sometimes I'll ask her, "Remember that one family in Idaho who . . . . ," and she will detail exactly what's happening in their lives because she keeps up with them on Facebook, or reads their blog, etc. She genuinely cares about other people, and that's a quality harder and harder to find these days.

So as this family prepares for Mother's Day, and then Jenny's birthday right after, we have our work cut out for us if we are to celebrate this woman commensurate to the value she brings into our lives.


2 comments:

Natalie said...

I think you really are a lucky guy. :) And you only listed a few of the good things about her.

Heidi P, That's me! said...

Jen- Ever since you wrote about the "radio programs" for kids on the church website I've wanted to find them and I finally got around to it! Thank you for sharing this wonderful find.