Only TWO weeks until summer vaca, and I'm trying to remember what we used to do when kids weren't in school all day. I have to be honest here... I really enjoy the kids going to school. There is no fighting, the house stays decently clean, I still get a nap time, and I LOVE them when they get home! It's too hot to play outside, which is what we used to do in the summer. I will probably sign the kiddos up for 1 round of swimming lessons, but at $50 for 2 weeks for 3 kids... well, I hope they learn how to swim in those 2 weeks. Last summer we spent a lot of time at the dollar theater, participating in reading programs, going to the splash park, and attending the special programs at the city community center. This summer... I'm afraid of catching lice at the dollar theater and with gas at $4 a gallon I don't know how much driving around we'll do. We were pretty good at doing some home-school every day (until I got pregnant), and I already bought some workbooks for the kids.
Here's what I'm thinking: Daily Schedule.
- chores
- piano lessons/practice
- reading time (during nap time)
- scripture study/learn a new primary song a week
- computer time (20 min/kid?)
- school workbooks
- some sort of exercise.... any ideas here?? Again, it's too hot to play outside. We do have a small trampoline we can bring in and jump on, and I'm thinking about looking for a children's workout DVD
- science/art projects? except I'm horrible at coming up with these things
Seriously... what do YOU do? Please share your ideas!!
And the pics? Well, couldn't resist the one with Grant, and of course I had to put one of Ammon up. Madi is the one who takes care of him while I get supper ready (she likes it). I guess next time I'll have to post one with Logan.
5 comments:
I LOVE the pics, especially of Madison and Ammon.
Our favorite rainy day/too hot outside activities revolve around art supplies. Playdoh, Lego masterpieces, table covered with butcher paper and crayons, markers, and stickers. Painting is the current favorite.
And exercise is lots of hide-and-seek, tag, and red light green light up and down the hall over and over again. :) I found these really cute books and DVDs on Yoga for kids this week at the library that I'm excited to try.
I am definitely coming back here to see other ideas. I've been using your chore jar/fun jar idea with great success, and need to be better at workbooks.
You could watch TV all day. ;) In my limited experience, this being our first sweltering summer, we love summertime pools (our neighborhood pool is free), library visits, family cooking nights, and orange-juice pops or ice cream cones. Of course, with one young kiddo we can do the same thing every day without fear of childhood-onset-boredom.
Wow that already sounds like an ambitious schedule for the summer. Our big activity this summer will be learning about the different countries.
I found a great children's atlas at Borders. Once a week we'll choose a country and learn about it's history, food, etc. We'll do crafts and eat food relating to what we learn. I'm sure I'll post pictures on my blog. We'll see how it goes!
I love this post. I'll be checking back to see what others are doing too!
we have a rediculous version of red light green light that has more than a rainbow of colors and actions too it that can entertain for hours. We go outside. I may hate the weather here but if it's too hot for a hike we go to the beach and it's never too cold really. We are keeping matthew in gymnastic/cello/dance classes this summer because all of our friends left and everyone else has or will have infants. Good Luck.
You could come visit Aunt Rene and Uncle Mike!!!
Post a Comment