Wednesday, June 25, 2014

notes to self

I began a facebook fast almost a week ago. I've noticed a few things, the first being that my iPhone battery lasts an entire day. Also, since I'm not reporting to the cyber world every few hours I feel this urge to hurry and write everything down.


  • We have a loaner van while we are getting our Chrysler Town and Country doctored up after some major Texas storm hail damage. It's old, makes terrible noises, and the side doors only open half of the time.  I'm not sure if I should feel more embarrassed about the old clunker van, or embarrassed that I've become a vehicle snob. I drive a mini van for crying out loud!!  But please: give me back my leather seating, DVD-playing, automatic door opening and closing, bluetooth connecting Town and Country!
  • I took the kids on a walk. Ammon wore a sandal on his left foot and a blue sneaker on his right. They were both made for the left foot. 
  • Logan announced to me that he has a talent for running barefoot in the grass.
  • Still waiting for the house to get started. Completion date has been pushed back to December or January (it was originally October). This is called frustrating.
  • I don't know that I've been any more productive with my facebook-free time, only more present in my day-to-day activities, which is good. Maybe the production will increase over time.
  • I haven't raised athletic children. They are probably, in most ways, completely average and normal, and I often end up scolding myself for not being more athletic or outgoing or motivated to put them in a thousand cultivating activities. That said, I have passed down/taught/cultivated in them something very important to me: the love of words and stories. Logan and Madison have read the entire Harry Potter series over the last week. They spend hours every day reading. We gave them both a copy of the last two books so that they could read side by side and discuss their awes and opinions. I admit, I wish I were a Harry Potter book virgin, experiencing the magic for the first time, though I do find satisfaction in watching my kids devour the story. Grant, too, has become a wonderful reader, as he pushes himself to catch up with his big brother and sister. Yesterday he read two Magic Tree House books, and then announced to me that he was ready to read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I'm going to let him try. (Ammon is a very proficient Look and Find picture finder.)

No comments: