Thursday, June 19, 2014

crystal ball

I am glimpsing a little bit of my future tonight: 2 pre-teen boys and 3 pre-teen girls, 8 bags of popcorn, 5 sherbet floats,  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban blaring, I just discovered, full blast. Add in the talking, the laughing, the silly noises. It's loud. 

It was a somewhat impromptu summer movie night with friends, something Madison suggested when she finally gave in to the peer pressure and started reading the Harry Potter series. She's read 3 of the books in the last week.

The little boys ate their popcorn and floats early, and then headed reluctantly upstairs. You see, the deal is that you have to read the books before you can watch the movies. That's a bummer. I promised them a movie night of their own with friends, soon. As I sat upstairs consoling them, talking about the friends they would invite over, and the movies they could watch, I felt a little bit of excitement about this thing called growing up. I am going to have a house full of kids and friends! 

It's kind of fun to sit here and listen to the stories that they tell, their personalities coming through. It's fun to see their confidence; they know that that their silly laughs, their crazy faces, their dance moves are cool. 

Also, I'm taking notes. Perhaps in the future we will just have boys OR girls over. Already, at the ages of 8-11--they are being too silly together. I see a little bit of trouble in my future. 

I am waiting impatiently for our house to be built; they haven't even started yet, which is a little discouraging. I am assigning items to rooms and closets. I am planning future movie nights with friends in the future media room. Now that will be fun! 

But tonight, I'm content to watch Harry Potter with my children in the comfort of our living room--this one was released 10 years ago, in 2004--and I know that the next 10 will pass just as quickly. 


1 comment:

Molly said...

We have the same rule about movies and so consequently harry potter movies 7 are the only pg thirteen movies I have let matthew watch (other than jurassic park when he was little which was a long time ago and surfice it to say he was cheering for the dinos and so they weren't scary). I also was going to only let him read through book 3 but he wore me down with promises of fearlessness which in the end he held up to. I figure he can reread them in a few years and enjoy the romance parts instead of snickering at them. Have your kids read Fablehaven yet, that 5 book series I actually like more than harry potter, it's just so good. I highly recomend.