I think it is very important to note that, despite the fighting and yelling that seem to be so common-place in our home, our kids might actually care for each other.
Examples from Friday:
1. Madison and Logan's school is closer than Grant's school, and they get home about 10 minutes before he does. Everyday, Grant gets home and asks if he beat the big kids home from school--and every day he is disappointed. When the kids got home on Friday they came in for their after-school snacks as usual, and I got my shoes on to go wait at Grant's bus stop. Logan and Madi whispered together for a minute, grabbed their backpacks, and hid in the backyard. Grant and I walked in the house and Grant asked, "Did I beat Madi and Logan?" Right on cue, Madi and Logan walked in the door with surprised looks and words like, "What? You beat us home?" Grant squealed in delight and kept saying, "Can you believe it?!" That was the first thing he told Dad when he came home, too. Needless to say, I was touched by their small act of love for Grant.
2. Madison got to take a stuffed animal to school on Friday. She chose a pink bunny. As she walked in the door of our home that afternoon, she burst into tears saying, "Someone on the bus told me that my bunny was stupid." Logan rushed over to her side and gave her a hug. He asked, "Who said that? Was it _______? Well, he's wrong. Everyone thought your bunny was so cute. You chose a good animal to take to school." Again, I was thankful for this act of kindness. This is not the first time Logan has come to Madison's defense, and I hope they can continue to confide in each other throughout their teenage years.
3. Madison had soccer practice Friday evening, and dad was home in time, so we all went to practice together. When it was time to go, Grant hopped in the car first and therefore had the seat of his choice. Madison was furious, and she started whining and crying--and absolutely refused to sit in another seat. In a very nice voice, Dad asked Madison to come talk to him on the sidewalk. I didn't know what was said at the time, but apparently he told her she had the choice of choosing a different seat or walking home. Madison started walking (this sounds a lot like her mother). Dad shut the van doors, climbed in, and put the van in reverse. Grant started bawling, saying, "Nooooo! Don't leave her!! Please don't leave her!!" Madison, seeing that the car was backing up, turned and sprinted back. Grant, still crying, said, "Madi, please go home with us. You can have my seat." I think we all felt this was a successful lesson.
4. Let's not forget Ammon (and although this probably did happen on Friday, it is not a specific incident). Ammon has been trying to fit in with the big kids, and one of the ways he gets attention from them is to bite them. He has been spending a few minutes on the naughty floor everyday. Anyway, after doing something naughty and then spending his 1 minute in time-out, we get down to his level, look him in the eye, and say something like, "Ammon, biting is not nice. You hurt Grant. No biting. Go tell Grant that you are sorry." Ammon, looking very penitent, goes over to the person he offended and gives him or her a big hug. (It really is very adorable.) The hurt child hugs Ammon back and instantly forgives little brother.
And finally, I want to note that not only is the pantry clean. . . but the garage is clean!! We could even park in it! The problem is that there is no garage door opener, which makes opening the garage door a huge pain. :( Anyway, I bought shelving Lowes, we worked together to tidy up the garage, and it looks wonderful! Towards the end, Madison found some big papers that came from the shelving box, and she asked me if she could have them. Of course, I said yes. And I'm so glad I did! This is what she did with them:
Notice Joe's crown, and the rest of us in a row.
Dad Thank you for all the hard work you dun for us! You are great! Who is the best? You are! The best dad ever! You are made for me! Love it! That's right!
Mom thank you for all the hard work you dun for us! You are the best! I love you! You are a mom! Better than anyone! That's right!
Notice that I am holding the baby Ammon, also, all the peace signs.
Joe said he got a little emotional reading his sign.
Truly, being part of a family is a wonderful, wonderful experience.
3 comments:
Jen, I loved this post! St times out made me laugh out loud and other times made me smile. Love how your kids showed such empathy for each other.you really do have such sweet kids.
They wouldn't be siblings if they didn't fight from time to time. You can tell they care about each other too. I loved the notes.
Awwww. What terrific kids. It's good to keep this record to look back when the kids are being less than angels.
Post a Comment