Friday, October 5, 2012

Family of 6, or, Proof

In today's world, a family of six seems pretty big. In the Mormon world, a family of six is pretty normal. But sometimes I wonder who in the world gave me permission to be in charge of the souls of FOUR children?

Anyway. A family of six can do a many things together. Some of those things include food ingestion (lots and lots of food), and inevitable unorganization.

Today I am documenting that my pantry is FULL and ORGANIZED.


I can promise you that it won't stay that way for very long.

This food will go fast! 

Earlier in the week I went into panic mode as I started reading about how groceries and gas are supposed to increase significantly this month. Lots of people=lots of groceries=lots of $$$ (hence the Aldi off-brand everything). Joe and I talked, and we agreed that we needed to follow our prophet's advice and prepare for the future in the form of food storage. We got on the LDS Provident Living site and decided we should see what it would take to have 3 months of food storage for our family of six.

Just the very, very basics include:



600 lbs of grain (eeks!)
80 lbs of legumes (I think we would all have stomach issues if this were our only protein source!)
40 lbs of dairy
80 lbs of sugar
8 lbs of leavening (very doable)
8 lbs of salt (this I can definitely do!)
40 lbs of fats

Let's be honest--that's a lot of food. And it isn't going to be that fulfilling if that is all we are eating for 3 months!

Those buckets are filled with wheat, rice, and oats. . . but probably less than 200 pounds worth. 

It is all a little overwhelming, really. So we filled up the pantry (and the deep freeze, but no pic) and we set a date to go to the cannery next month.

I think we can fit a little more in there. . . maybe? We are definitely going to have to get creative with food-storage space around the house. :)

Oh, and did you know that if something terrible should happen, even Ammon would be able to feed himself? He knows right where the cereal is, where his milk is, and he can get to both. However, this does mean a mess for mom is she isn't paying close attention. :/

How do you do food storage?

2 comments:

Tamera Brose said...

I used to think the grains thing was all you had to do. Now, with all the convenient stuff they have that will store for a long time, I find storing with my family will actually eat much more promising. Get a little extra of the stuff you eat all the time, every time you shop. Buy one or two bottles of spaghetti sauce and an extra can of tuna. Your family will not eat what they aren't used to, even if they are hungry. Too much whole grain, if you haven't eaten it that much will make you sick. Check out "Food Storage Made Easy". It's a great website.

Trulee said...

Good Work! Looks great. Don't you feel good?