I got brave and asked a lady in our ward who has some serious decorating style if she would help me with the mantel. She came over and gave me some ideas that never crossed my mind--like a big flower arrangement in the middle (she let me try one of hers out to see how it looked), a clock in the middle, and an easel to help with height. I like the bold lines better than the flowers, but I think the clock might be too small for the space. Also the "stuff" on the sides are things I already had and used just to see how it looked. The teapot is down too low and the flowers are fallish, which might work for now but not long term. I like more bold and simple designs without a lot of clutter. I also believe decor should have form and function, so I don't want to buy a lot of "things" just for show. I like the China things because they remind me of the people I knew and time I spent in China. Hmmm. . . I just emailed her these pictures to get an updated opinion. She's probably cringing. :) Which one do you like, and do you have any suggestions for "stuff" on the sides?p.s. click here to see a site that has some good fire mantel ideas.
9 comments:
I think I like the clock option better for a couple of reasons. It will be easier to dust/clean than a flower arrangement and it is a bit more sleek/stylish. You may want to change out the fall colored foliage for those curly sticks or some bear grass.
I think the clock one looks perfect.
I prefer the clock. BJ
I so feel for you. We have almost the exact same fireplace/mantel thing in our house. We have our family picture hanging there (because we have so little wall space due to all the windows). Good luck figuring it out. I like the clock better, but I agree that a bigger clock would be better.
I really like the clock option! When I first saw the picture before I even read the post I thought, "Wow she did it!" I understood what you meant about it being an awkward space but I think the first option fills it really well. I think a larger clock might throw off the balance which is actually quite nice with the wheat arrangement and the easle.
I like the clock a lot better than the flowers. Also, you could blow up a LARGE family picture and put it up there to cover that spot on the wall. :)You don't have to hang it, you can just lean it against the wall.
Love the clock option just the way it is! Using what you already have is the way to go. I think it looks great.
definitely the clock
The clock looks perfect! I like the size I don't know of you'd want to go bigger.
Post a Comment