Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Part III: Arrival

We rolled into Dallas on January 9th, 2010, just after the sun had set. And it's probably a good thing it was dark.

Rewind a few weeks: I was in Texas on business when Jenny sent me the link to a house she wanted me to look at. "It has some strange colors, but it looks nice. Check it out."

We had to find a place pretty quick, and I had already looked at dozens of houses. When I went to this house I thought, "Yeah, pretty awful colors, but in a really good neighborhood, close to a school, and next to a park." So I took it.

Everything checked out with Jenny until she stepped across the threshold. There, in the hallway, she realized the terrible mistake I made. She wandered through each room, flabbergasted at the loud, vibrant colors. Some rooms had different obnoxious colors on each wall.







Jenny cried.

The kids actually thought it was great that we were in a new place. Logan's first utterance was "Where's the 'naughty floor' going to be?"

The other problem was that the heater had not been turned on in advance. The house was 45 degrees. We debated about going to a hotel, but the temperature seemed to be rising, and the realtor told us the house may take several hours to warm up. So we all bedded down in the dining room--all five of us on one air mattress.

We froze.

The house never heated up. In the morning the thermostat still read 46 degrees.

And THAT's how we spent our first night in our new house.

12 comments:

debbie said...

This definitely sounds like a story you will be able to laugh at later!! Like laugh a lot!! It's kind of hilarious. It looks like a fun, colorful house for kids? And really the house looks really nice other than the orange. I know it's not the same, but when we first got to our apartment in Wymount (can you believe we're still here!?) I almost cried at how tiny it was and at the PINK tile in the bathroom. I'm so used to that pink tile now...
Jenn, I hope you're doing well. Love you!

The JL McGregor Family said...

Debbie,

When Jenny first got to Wymount, she cried then, too! There it was because of the cinder-block walls and utility carpet.

As to your previous question: I just think Hot Springs is pretty.

Can't wait till you guys come and visit.

. said...

Hi guys! I am glad you made it to Texas all in one piece. My extended family + inlaws live in Dallas. What part of Dallas are you living. Send me an email if you don't want to post it on your blog (willow194@hotmail.com).

My family lives in Flowermound, Denton, Grapevine, Colleyville, Plano, Frisco, and we have some friends in the highland park, southlake and Keller areas.

Good luck getting situated.

Ashlee and Shane said...

such good memories for later in your life! :) really, the house doesn't look bad. it looks nice....just paint over the orange wall and wah lah! :) good luck though!

The JL McGregor Family said...

Carrie, we are in Garland.

. said...

awesome!!! You live in the 1 area where we know noone!!! Well, Let me know if you decide to move to another location in Dallas. If you do, I would strongly reccomend Grapevine.

Even if you don't move to Grapevine, I would strong reccomend taking the kids on the Tarantula Train from Grapevine to the Down Town Ft. Worth Stock Yards. YOur kids would LLLLLOOOOVVVEE it. A day of Trains and farm animals, what else could a kid want?

Have fun in Dallas. JOhn and I bother LOVED growing up there.

balloongal said...

Colors are able to be changed. But, I don't blame Jenny for crying. It's a big deal making such a big change.

The JL McGregor Family said...

(jenn here) first, let me say that the pictures are deceiving--I was excited about the house until I saw it in person. At least Wymount was clean.... And we had just left our beautiful, clean home on Ohio. But after many hours of scrubbing and even more hours of intense ainting , the house is finally starting to feel like a home--important to me because I have to be in it all day. But--we have yet to use the master bathroom...still trying to find the motivation to clean it. Joe (and my mom) thinks I am obsessive compulsive. Writing this makes me think they might be right. Pictures of the new look soon to come.

H.Cook said...

Can't wait to see the after pictures! I am sorry the house has been so much work. At least the weather is warmer there?

I hope everything else with your move has gone ok. Jenny, I'll miss you tonight at bunko!

HeatherC said...

Yes, that house screams potential. If only someone else could bring it up to it's potential and then give it back to you...good luck with all the work. I hope you're enjoying life in a new place!

Skye said...

Wow orange creamsiccle walls. I now understand what all the painting you mentioned on facebook was about. Best of wishes.

Ammieloris said...

Wow! Good houseWARMING!. (Oh, how punny awful...) I like the pretty colors. Bright and cheerful, yes. Soothing and nice to live among, perhaps not.