Thursday, March 28, 2013

Truth

I had some of the best English professors in college. I also had some of the greatest English classes. One class--in fact one day--changed my life. Sounds cliche, I know. But it is true.

My Victorian Literature teacher would give us quizzes where we would walk into class, draw two questions from a hat, and then we had about an hour to write and print two essays answering those questions. The question that changed my life went something like (paraphrasing here because it's been 10 years!): Discuss how Charles Darwin and Gerard Manley Hopkins are similar and different.

You see the genius of the question, don't you? You have to know what they wrote and know about the authors themselves to be able to answer the question. And if you know about either author you know that they they don't really have a lot in common.

So I started writing about the authors and their works. I wrote for about 20 minutes (I had an estimated 10 minutes left for this essay). And then it hit me:

They were both searching for the truth.

One found it in science and the other found it in God. Both were absolute in their beliefs. Both wanted to share--convince--others of their truths.

Then it double hit me:

WE ARE ALL SEARCHING FOR TRUTH.

That is what we hunger for. That is why we do what we do, whether we are searching for true happiness, true love, the meaning of life, health, science, math--you name it.

That began my hunger and my quest for truth. I started researching the relationship between truth and light. And even now, everything I read either confirms what I know or makes me question what I don't know. I love conversations that challenge my thinking (though I know some of you think I am the crazy lady who likes to argue).

I have learned a lot, and I am still learning.

Recently I listened to this talk about truth. It reminds me about my own feelings on the topic and my own search for truth. You should read it. And then we can talk about it. Or any other topic. Politely, of course. :)

In case you were wondering, I got an A on my both my essays. Actually, if I remember correctly, the professor read my truth essay to the class. Yah, I'm bragging.

Anyway, like Charles Darwin and Gerard Manley Hopkins--we have some similarities and many differences. That's ok. We can still be friends. 

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Absolutely brilliant!!

Emily said...

Love it!

Molly said...

My best english teacher ever used to have us do surprise essays where we would get two contradicting thesis statements and then get to write both essays in one sitting. I learned an appreciation for gray from that class.