I wanted to share a link to a story reporting on the experience of the mission president in the Santiago Chile East Mission leading up to Chile's recent earthquake. The story is an incredible testimony, and I encourage all to read. It can be found here:
http://ldsmag.com/churchupdate/100303chile.html
As a side note, I've taken particular interest in this country lately. For the longest time I have declined posting on one of my favorite topics--politics--because it's such a divisive subject, and a family blog is not the appropriate forum to engage in tit-for-tat exchanges.
But I think in light of recent circumstances it would be appropriate to note that Chile is becoming a model American country, refusing to succumb to crippling populist programs. Their foresight in overcoming this physical devastation was borne of the same foresight that helped them ward off equal devastation of this recent worldwide disinflationary decline. Decades ago they invited Milton Friedman--arguably the most important economist this nation has ever produced--to offer suggestions on how Chile could curb inflation, grow their economy, and increase the nation's standard of living. The solutions were simple and based on free-market economics. Their successful implementation by extremely bright, educated, and disciplined government ministers has proved once again the value of free-market economics. This country could learn a thing or three from Chile.
1 comment:
This was awesome to read because I had heard a little bit about it on Sunday. Jeni Jones has a friend whose son is serving in this mission. He had previously written his parents about the visit from the mission president and told them that the missionaries had been given water filtration, other emergency equiptment and been instructed in how to prepare and to begin to prepare for a natural disaster.
This mother hadn't heard from her son yet or about his safety but wasn't afraid for him.
Jeni Jones was also able to forward this facebook message from her friend to another sister in our stake whose nephew is also a missionary there before the family had recieved any word from him.
Amazing!!!
Post a Comment